Awards from Outside Trusts

In order to view the entirety of this content you will need to enable Javascript. You can do this in your browser settings.

  • 015%c2%a9robertsmith2007 940x626

Africa's Land and Food Fellowship

Fellowships are offered to Africans mainly from southern and East Africa who have experience in agriculture, food or natural resource exploitation and management; an interest in land reform; and a desire to make a strategic and sustainable contribution to Africa's development. In short, tomorrow's innovators and leaders.

Scholarships cover tuition fees, board and accommodation, flights to and from the UK, provision for networking and a short industrial placement in Africa or the UK. Applicants are advised that scholarships do not cover incidental costs whilst in the UK and are advised that they should make provision in the order of £200 pcm.

Since the Fellowship was launched in 2005, over 1.3 million pounds has been generously provided by donors in support of the programme. This funding has provided for leadership training; the development of professional networks and supporting industrial experience, together with study opportunities on the master’s programmes in agriculture, food and rural development at the Royal Agricultural University. All of the fellows subsequently return to Africa and many are now making significant leadership contributions through their various occupations to managing change in rural development, food supply and security, farming, agribusiness, agricultural education and government. The programme is specifically linked to the MSc International Rural Development and the MSc Sustainable Agriculture and Food Security courses.

How do I Apply?

For further information or to apply, please visit our 'Africa & The RAU' section.

The NFU Mutual Charitable Trust Centenary Award

For information about this award, click here

Studley College Trust

Am I Eligible for an Award?

The Trust has a priority to help those who cannot afford the costs of a course to gain their first qualification at the start of their land based career training and therefore help for second degrees or postgraduate study takes second priority. The type of career you plan is also taken into account as the Trust seeks to fund the sort of training that will be valuable to you and of use in the production and commercial side of land based activities. Support for postgraduate studies will only be considered if the Trust is satisfied that it is an essential part of your career training and where a period of 12 months has elapsed since graduation.

How do I Apply?

Contact the Trust for an application form:

Can I Apply again for the Following Year?

The award is for one year. For further information, please see the website:

The Dick Harrison Trust

Am I Eligible for an Award?

The objects of the Trust are to provide education and training by awarding grants for fees or maintenance to students wanting to train in livestock auctioneering and/or rural estate management. Support by way of financial assistance takes the form of books, equipment or grants towards travel arrangements. Applications are invited from students who were born in Scotland or Cumbria or Northumberland and who are (or whose parents or grandparents are) resident in any of these places at the time of the award.

How do I Apply?

Contact the Trust for an application form:

For further information, please see the website:

Professional Career Development Loans (PCDL)

A Professional Career Development Loan is a bank loan designed to help you pay for work-related learning. You don't have to start paying your loan back until one month after you stop training.

The University is a registered learning provider for Professional Career Development Loans and our registration number is 2438.

PCDLs are available through an arrangement between the Learning and Skills Council (LSC) and high street banks.

How does it work?

  1. You can borrow anything between £300 and £9000 to help you fund up to two years of learning (or up to three years if the programme includes one year of relevant practical work experience).
  2. You can apply for PCDLs with high street banks.
  3. The LSC pays the interest on your loan while you are learning and for one month after you have stopped training.

You repay the loan to the bank over an agreed period at a fixed rate of interest

What does it cover?

Programme fees: 80% of your programme fees, or 100% if you have been out of work for three months or more at the time of application;

Other programme costs including, books, equipment, tools, childcare, travel expenses and some costs associated with disability; living expenses for food, ordinary clothing or footwear, household fuel, rent, housing costs and council tax.

These costs must not be covered by any other grant or state benefit and you must not undertake work involving more than 30 hours per week. Your loan can cover one or more of these elements, but cannot exceed £9000 in total.

How do I qualify?

To qualify for a PCDL, you must be: 18 or over; ordinarily resident in England, Scotland or Wales with an unlimited right to remain inthe UK (you will not qualify for a PCDL if your right to remain within the UK is subject to restrictions); unable to pay for the programme yourself; and intending to work in the European Union (or Iceland, Norway or Liechtenstein) when you have finished your programme.

More information is available on

Enhanced Learning for the Armed Forces

Applicants from the Armed Forces of the United Kingdom may be entitled to claim for support from the Enhanced Learning for the Armed Forces Scheme (ELCAS). More details are available at