- Module code
- Module leader
- Christopher Brough
- Module level
- Module credits
- Min study time
- 150 hours
- Contact Hrs within study time
- 40 hours
- Teaching period
- Semester 1
Genetics – Principles of inheritance and genetic improvement. Basic genetic engineering.
Nutrition & Digestion – Biochemical properties of feeds and metabolism within the animal. Comparative anatomy and digestive physiology of ruminant with non-ruminants.
Reproduction – Anatomy physiology of male and female reproductive systems. Endocrinological events involved in oestrus and parturition.
Veterinary – Health causative agents of disease, treatment methods and prevention. Animal welfare issues
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Understand the scientific principles that underpin commercial animal productivity.
- Explain basic principles of livestock physiology (i.e. reproductive endocrinology)
- Carry out safe laboratory analytical procedures to determine nutrient values of feeds.
|Examination||Exam (2 hours)||60%|
Students should be familiar with the content of the following:
- Arey D 2006 Animal welfare aspects of good agricultural practice: pig production [Book] shelf no: 636.4083
- Croston, D. and Pollott, G.E. (1994). Planned Sheep Production. (2nd edition). Blackwell Scientific.
- DairyCo 2012 Breeding+: breeding improvement programme [Book] shelf no: 636.214082
- Fitzgerald S 2013 Animal health in an expanding dairy industry [Book] shelf no: 636.2089
- Flanders F B 2010 Modern livestock and poultry production 8th ed. [Book] shelf no: 636
- Frandson, R.D., Wilkie, W. and Fails, A.D. (2003). Anatomy and Physiology of Farm Animals. (6th edition). Lippincott Williams and Williams
- Garnsworthy, Philip C 2006 Recent developments in non-ruminant nutrition Nottingham University Press.
- Garnsworthy, Philip C, Packington, 2013 Recent advances in animal nutrition
- Soffe R G (2003). The Agricultural Notebook (20th edition) Blackwell Science
- Whittemore C T 2006 Whittemore's science and practice of pig production 3rd ed. [Book] shelf no: 636.4
- An International Journal of Animal Bioscience
- Livestock Production Science
- Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Salmonella in livestock production in GB [Online resource]
- Animal and Plant Health Agency [online resource]
- National Animal Diseases Information Service [online resource]
- National Beef Association
- National Sheep Association
- British Society of Animal Science [online resource]
- World Organisation for Animal Health [online resource]
- AHDB Beef and Lamb [online resource]
- AHDB Pork [online resource]
- AHDB Dairy [online resource]
- Science Daily (Agriculture and Food) [online resource]