Familiarisation with livestock, deadstock and growing crops and grasses found on upland and lowland farms in the UK. Enterprise outputs, husbandry requirements and fundamental variable costs for the main UK farm enterprises. Variation in gross margins due to land quality, production system, yields, prices and managerial abilities. Enterprises to be studied include cereals, combinable break crops, grasses, forage crops and conserved forage, industrial crops; dairying, beef and sheep production. Farm machinery requirements.
The programme will be undertaken through a series of lectures, tutorials and farm visits.
With reference to the main UK farm enterprises, on successful completion of the module students will be able to:
- Use agronomic resources to formulate a cropping plan for a defined area of land.
- Comment on the developments in livestock management in a chosen sector.
- Analyse gross margins and demonstrate understanding of the reasons for their variation.
- Demonstrate an understanding of techniques and technology used in agricultural businesses.
|Coursework A||Group crops project Powerpoint presentation maximum 20 slides||40%|
|Coursework B||Group livestock report (2000 words)||40%|
|Examination||1 hour unseen multiple choice exam||20%|
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- Agro Business Consultants (annual). Agricultural Budgeting and Costing Book. Agro Business Consultants.
- Bazeley K & Hayton A (2007) Practical Cattle Farming Crowood Press
- Bell, B. (2005). Farm Machinery. (5th edition). Old Pond Publishing
- Finch, H.J.S., Samuel, A.M. and Lane, G.P.F. (2014). Lockhart and Wiseman’s Crop Husbandry including Grassland. (9th edition). Woodhead Publishing Ltd.
- Francis, S A. (2005). British Field Crops: A Pocket Guide to the Identification, History and Uses of Traditional and Novel Arable Crops in Great Britain. Published by author
- Nix, J. (annual) Farm Management Pocketbook. Imperial College at Wye.
- SRUC (annual) Farm Management Handbook. SRUC.
- Soffe, R.J. (2003). The Agricultural Notebook (20th edition) Blackwell Science
- Soffe, R.J. (ed.) (2005), The Countryside Notebook. Blackwell Publishing
- Winter & Phythian C (2011) Sheep health, husbandry and disease Crowood Press
- AHDB http://www.ahdb.org.uk/ web-site for up-to-date animal and crop enterprise information