- Animal physiology, biology, genetics and breeding, milk hygiene and quality, nutrition and diets, parasitology, growth and development.
- Principles and use of classification systems.
- Plant cell biology in relation to growth and production of new biomass.
- Physiological processes of importance to crop production.
- Plant nutrition and the biology of nitrogen fixation and assimilation.
- Plant and crop growth cycles, crop canopy development.
- Phenological aspects of crop growth and development – growth stages.
- Formation of yield; ‘absolute’, potential’, ‘attainable’, ‘affordable’ and ‘actual’ yields.
- Constraints to yield; impact of crop pests, weeds and diseases.
- Biology of crop protection.
- Soil parent material.
- Soil constituents, texture and organic matter.
- Land classification.
- Soil analysis.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Describe and discuss key biological principles in a range of livestock species
- Explain how key biological principles influence the efficiency of livestock production
- Describe and discuss key biological principles in a range of crop species
- Explain how key biological principles influence the efficiency of crop production
|Coursework||Crop Science Coursework||35%|
|Coursework||Animal Science Coursework||35%|
|Examination||Unseen exam (1.5 hours)||30%|
Assessments may differ in 2020/21 due to adjustments for Covid-19. Please check Gateway for the latest regulations.
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- Frandson, R.D. and Spurgeon, T.L. (2009). Anatomy and Physiology of Farm Animals. 7th Ed. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Fuller, M.F. (2004) The Encyclopaedia of Farm Animal Nutrition. CABI Publishing.
- Givens, D.I., Owen, E., Axford, R.F.E. and Omed, H.M. (2000) Forage Evaluation in Ruminant Nutrition. CBI Publishing.
- Hay, R.K.M. and Walker, A.J. (1989). An Introduction to the Physiology of Crop Yield. Longman.
- Hopkins, W.G. (1999). Intro to Plant Physiology. John Wiley & Sons. Herren, R. (2000) The Science of Animal Agriculture. 2nd Ed. Delmar Publishers.
- Lawrence, T.L.J. and Fowler, V.R. (1997). Growth of Farm Animals. CAB International.
- McDonald, P., Edwards, R.A., Greenhalgh, J.F.D. and Morgan, C.A. (2002). Animal Nutrition. 6th Ed. Longman.
- Soffe, R.J. (2003). The Agricultural Notebook. 20th Ed. Blackwell Scientific. Willis, M.B. (1998). Dalton's Introduction to Practical Animal Breeding. 4th Ed. Blackwell Science.
- An International Journal of Animal Bioscience
- Livestock Production Science
- Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Salmonella in livestock production in GB [Online resource]
- Animal and Plant Health Agency [online resource]
- National Animal Diseases Information Service [online resource]
- British Society of Animal Science [online resource]
- World Organisation for Animal Health [online resource]
- AHDB Beef and Lamb [online resource]
- AHDB Pork [online resource]
- AHDB Dairy [online resource]
- Science Daily (Agriculture and Food) [online resource]