- Module code
- Module leader
- Tom Overbury
- Module level
- Module credits
- Min study time
- 150 hours
- Contact Hrs within study time
- 50 hours
- Teaching period
- October – June
- Current agricultural issues pertinent at the time, (e.g. TB, Commodity and energy prices, Food scares, Government policy, etc).
- European Policy / CAP, Agricultural subsidy history and details, Single Farm Payment.
- Food chain efficiency, Farm Assurance schemes, Agri Environment Schemes.
- Personnel and Human Resource Management.
- Presentation skills.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the reasons behind agricultural support and the effect that it has on agriculture. (8.1.4)
- Demonstrate familiarity with current and topical agricultural issues.(8.4.7)
- Prepare a presentation on a topical subject, and deliver the presentation to an audience of their peers and others. (8.4.1)(8.4.2)(8.4.3)(8.4.7)
|Continuous assessment||1 x test and 1 x group project||30%|
|Continuous assessment||1 x oral Viva||40%|
|Examination||1 x 1.5 hour unseen exam||30%|
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- Turner, J.C. and Taylor, M.R. (1998). Applied Farm Management. (2nd edition). Blackwell Science.
- Current Agricultural Trade Journals (e.g. Farmers Weekly, Crops).
- DEFRA and other websites.