Mechanisation and Buildings
- Module code
- Module level
- Module credits
- Min study time
- 150 hours
- Contact Hrs within study time
- 50 hours
- Teaching period
- October – June
Machinery types and selection: tractors and power units, cultivation equipment, crop establishment and agronomic machinery, forage conservation machinery, crop harvesting, drying, grading and storage, dairy and livestock facilities and equipment. Farm Health and Safety legislation.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the basic machinery, equipment and building options available for modern farming systems and appreciate their suitability for specified farming situations. (8.1.1)
- Demonstrate familiarity with the major pieces of health and safety legislation covering agriculture. (8.1.4)
- Carry out risk and COSHH assessments on a farm situation. (8.1.4)(8.2.5)(8.3.1)
|Continuous assessment||4 x In class tests & 1 x technical report||30%|
|Coursework||1 x group presentation||40%|
|Examination||1 x 1.5 hour unseen exam||30%|
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- Bell, B. (1996). Farm Machinery. (4th edition). Farming Press.
- Culpin, C. (1992). Farm Machinery. (12th edition). BSP, Oxford.