Management & Leadership 1
- Module code
- Module leader
- Ian McLarty
- Module level
- Module credits
- Min study time
- 150 hours
- Contact Hrs within study time
- 25 hours
- Teaching period
- Semester 2
- Distinguishing between the roles of management and leadership
- Identifying and managing stakeholders
- Managing interpersonal relations in a business enterprise
- Influencing people
- Managing people
- Handling information as a manager
- Solving problems and decision making
- Developing analytical, critical and consultancy skills
- Developing business and financial skills
- Understanding and managing yourself
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Distinguish between the role of a manager and a leader
- Identify a range of differing stakeholders for a business enterprise and recommend how best to manage them
- Critically assess the importance of a variety of core managerial responsibilities to the success of a business enterprise
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- Armstrong, M. (2012) Armstrong's handbook of management and leadership : developing effective people skills for better leadership and management. 3rd edn. London: Kogan Page.
- Abib Pech, M. (2013) Financial Times guide to leadership : how to lead effectively and get results. Financial Times. (Financial Times guides).
- Gosling, J., Jones, S. and Sutherland, I. (2012) Key concepts in leadership. SAGE. (Sage key concepts).
- Watson, G. and Reissner, S. (eds.) (2013) Developing skills for business leadership. 2nd edn. Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development.