Personal and Professional Development
- Module code
- Module leader
- Dr Carol Zhang
- Module level
- Module credits
- Min study time
- 150 hours
- Contact Hrs within study time
- 25 hours
- Teaching period
The Reflective Personal and Professional Development (RPPD) module aims to equip students with the generic, transferrable and study skills that they need to be successful in a personal, academic and professional setting. Throughout the module, students will undertake a variety of business-related activities to enhance the development of transferable and study skills. Performance in team-work and in self-managed tasks will be developed. In particular, students will be encouraged to evaluate, reflect upon and manage their own learning; and to become aware of the opportunities for the Work Placement incorporating Personal & Professional Development in Level 5 and skills enhancement in Levels 6.The module will allow students to increase their ability to develop lifelong learning skills through analysis and evaluation of past, current and future critical perspectives regarding their personal, academic and professional development.
Upon successful completion of this module students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an awareness of the relationship between study skills and transferable skills.
- Set personal, academic and career goals and to evaluate progress towards their achievement.
- Identify personal learning strengths and weaknesses, and individual learning styles.
- Reflect on and evaluate their own personal and professional skills development and to plan their future academic, personal and professional development.
- Compare approaches and practices to recruiting and selecting staff.
|Coursework||1 x Group role play||50%|
|Coursework||1 x Reflective Report (2000 words)||50%|
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- Cottrell, S. (2013). The Study Skills Handbook. 4th edn. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Torrington, D., Hall, L., Taylor, S & Atkinson, C (2014) Human Resource Management. 9th edn. Pearson.
- Whetten, D.A. and Cameron, K.S. (2011). Developing Management Skills. 8th edn. Pearson International Edition. Pearson Education.