Biochemistry of nutrients, digestive physiology, energy metabolism, feed identification and analyses, factors affecting voluntary feed intake in the horse.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Describe digestion absorption and metabolism of nutrients
- Recognise equid digestive anatomy
- Identify a range of feeds commonly fed to horses
- Repeat basic feed analyses and interpret commercial feed analyses
|Coursework||Laboratory practical write-up||30%|
|Examination||Exam (1.5 hours)||70%|
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- Ellis, A.D. and Hill, J. (2005) Nutritional physiology of the horse. Nottingham University Press.
- Frandson, D.R. Wilke, W.L, and Fails A.D, (2009). (7th edition). Anatomy and physiology of farm animals. Wiley-Blackwell
- Frape, D. (2010) Equine Nutrition and Feeding. (4th edition). Oxford : Wiley-Blackwell
- McDonald, P., Edwards, R.A., Greenhalgh, J.F.D., Morgan, C.A., Sinclair, L.A., Wilkinson, R.G. (2011) Animal Nutrition. (7th edition). Harlow : Pearson Education Ltd.