- Module code
- Module leader
- Sam Parkes
- Module level
- Module credits
- Min study time
- 150 hours
- Contact Hrs within study time
- 40 hours (campus) / 20 hours (Distance Learning)
- Teaching period
- Semester 2 (campus) / Varies (Distance Learning)
This module is delivered to cover the following content:
- Measurement - Regulations & Practical Application including the RICS Code of Measuring Practice and the International Property Measurement standards.
- Surveying – including the regulations, practical application and health and safety aspects of surveying properties and land for such elements as property management, development and valuation.
- Use of Promap – digital maps and Metropix – digital floor plan software.
- Identify the key characteristics of a building to estimate the date of construction.
- Identify and propose remedies for common defects in existing buildings.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of surveying regulations and the practical realities of surveying practice.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of the RICS Code of Measurement regulations.
- Obtain data and information needed in the measurement of land and buildings.
- Production of digital property and land plans using Promap and Metropix software.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the different construction methods and styles to enable students to estimate the date of a property from its external elements.
- Demonstrate knowledge of common building defects and remedies for them
|Coursework||Individual portfolio of coursework practical assignments and multiple choice assessments||60%|
|Examination||Unseen exam (2 hours)||40%|
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- R.I.C.S. Isurv (2015) RICS property measurement-Code of measuring practice, online at: http://www.isurv.com/site/scripts/documents.aspx?categoryID=1325
- Marshall D (2006) The Construction of houses. Estate Gazette (2006)
- Clarke K. (2011) Getting Started with Geographic Information Systems 5th edition Pearson Education
- Crampton J (2010) Mapping: a critical introduction to cartography and GIS Wiley