The important points of husbandry and mechanisation and the main management factors affecting profitability are established for the main UK farm enterprises. Topics studied include: cereals, combinable break crops, potatoes, sugar beet, field vegetable production, industrial crops, grasses and forage crops (including for equines); dairying, beef and sheep production, pigs and poultry (including aspects of animal health and welfare); organic farming; farm assurance; farm mechanisation management. The programme will be undertaken through a series of lectures, tutorials and farm visits.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and source information about the techniques and practices associated with the main UK farm enterprises and equine grassland management.
- Identify and assess the management factors affecting the success and profitability of these enterprises.
|Coursework||Enterprise critical essay choice||50%|
|Examination||Unseen exam (2 hours)||50%|
Assessments may differ in 2020/21 due to adjustments for Covid-19. Please check Gateway for the latest regulations.
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- Agricultural and Horticultural Development Board (AHDB) publications web-site gives up-to-date information on markets and on enterprise management for the main UK farming systems (apart from poultry) Available here.
- Crowood Press has useful (inexpensive) text-books on most enterprises Available here.
- Agro Business Consultants (annual) Agricultural Budgeting and Costing Book. Agro Business Consultants.
- Francis, S.A. (2005). British Field Crops: A Pocket Guide to the Identification, History and Uses of Traditional and Novel Arable Crops in Great Britain. Published by Author
- Finch, H. J. S., Samuel, A. M. and Lane, G.P.F. (2014). Lockhart and Wiseman’s Crop Husbandry including Grassland. 9th ed. Woodhead Publishing Ltd
- O'Beirne-Ranelagh, E. (2005). Managing Grass for Horses: The Responsible Owner's Guide. J.A. Allen.
- Redman G (2014) The John Nix Farm Management Pocket Book 2015 Pocketbook publishing (annual)
- Soffe, R.J. (2005). The Countryside Notebook. Blackwell Publishing (esp. Chapters 10-13, 16).