Business and Property Finance and Taxation
- Module code
- Module leader
- Peter Smith
- Module level
- Module credits
- Min study time
- 150 hours
- Contact Hrs within study time
- 38 hours
- Teaching period
- Semester 2
The module aims to develop an introductory understanding of property finance, national taxation, and local taxation, which includes council tax and non-domestic rating with particular emphasis on its application to property management and sales.
A study of the above subject areas and themes is important preparation for students entering employment in property management and or agency, either within the rural or urban context. In particular, finance and taxation (national, and or local) forms separate competencies within the RICS Assessment of Professional. The subjects are also featured in the QAA Subject Benchmark Statement for Land, Construction, Real Estate and Surveying 2016.
Finance: Ratio analysis, cash flow analysis and the difference between profit and cash, sources of finance and structure of debt, management of working capital, small business finance and entrepreneurship, capital appraisal techniques, preparing business plans.
Local taxation: Liability for rates and council tax, rateable occupation, exemptions and relief, basis and methods of valuation for rating and council tax, alterations and appeals procedure.
National taxation: Income tax, capital gains tax, inheritance tax, stamp duty land tax and VAT; impact on landowners and users and ways to mitigate their effect.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Interpret financial statements and recognise how company finance should be structured
- Prepare, and interpret capital investment appraisal techniques and calculate / interpret projected figures
- Advise owners and occupiers of property of the impact of national taxation and suggest practical ways of mitigating the tax burden
- Recognise how a liability for local tax arises
- Explain how local tax is assessed and challenged
|Coursework||CW-Taxation Case Study||60%|
Taxation-National and Local: https://rl.talis.com/3/rau/lists/E5E7ECC6-03C3-C0D1-878C-F8B1AFBD6F08.html