Business and Property Finance and Taxation
- Module code
- Module leader
- Peter Smith
- Module level
- Module credits
- Min study time
- 150 hours
- Contact Hrs within study time
- 38 hours
- Teaching period
- Semester 2
Finance: Ratio analysis, cash flow analysis and the difference between profit and cash, sources of finance and structure of debt, management of working capital, small business finance and entrepreneurship, capital appraisal techniques, preparing business plans.
Local taxation: Liability for rates and council tax, rateable occupation, exemptions and relief, basis and methods of valuation for rating and council tax, alterations and appeals procedure.
National taxation: Income tax, capital gains tax, stamp duty land tax and inheritance tax; their impact on landowners and users; ways to mitigate their effect.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Understand how the company (to include small business) finance should be structured.
- Interpret financial statements of sole traders and limited companies.
- Calculate and interpret projected figures.
- Prepare and interpret simple capital investment appraisal techniques
- Recognise how a liability for local tax arises.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the assessment process and how it might be altered.
- Advise owners and occupiers of the property of the impact of national taxation and suggest practical ways of mitigating the tax burden.
|Coursework||CW-Taxation Case Study||40%|
|Coursework||Multiple choice exam||60%|
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following within the three constituent subject areas):
- Dyson, J.R. (2010). Accounting for Non-Accounting Students (8th edition). Pearson.
- Woods, F. (2012). Business Accounting 1 & 2. (12th edition). Prentice Hall.
- Weetman, P. (2013). Financial and Management Accounting, (6th edition):
- Financial Times Press. Pearson Education.
- Atrill, P. and McLaney E., (2013) Financial Management for Non-Specialists. (8th edition). Prentice Hall.
- Bond and Brown (2011. Rating Valuation: Principles and Practice (3rd edition). Estates Gazette.
- Dixon T, Heath, G. Business rates: your guide, Institute of Revenues Rating and Valuation.
- Mackim and Askham (1995). Rating Law; The Uniform Business Rate. RICS books
- Plimmer, A.S. (1998). Rating Law and Valuation. Longmans.
- Zurich Tax Guides.
- Stanley, O. (1996). The Taxation of Farmers and Landowners. (6th edition). Butterworths.
- Tolleys Tax Guides.