The module content will be delivered through lectures, group tutorials, site visits and practicals.
The outline module content will be:
- Site and building surveys
- Farm building design and construction.
- Building conversions.
- Building defects and their remedies.
- Cottage renovation.
- Low energy buildings and sustainable building design.
- Development control and listed building consent.
- Property Management – Residential & Commercial
- Use of Promap.
- Building conservation.
- Project management.
- Building contracts.
At the end of the module, students will be able to:
- Undertake a survey of a site or building for a range of purposes.
- Use Promap.
- Identify and propose remedies for common defects in existing buildings.
- Understand principals and processes of property management.
- Understand the principles of contract administration and project management.
|Coursework||Case Study – Renovation of a residential property||50%|
|Examination||Unseen exam (2 hours)||50%|
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- Barnes M and Mander C (1991) Farm Building Construction. Farming Press.
- Chappell D (2007) Understanding JCT standard building contracts. 8th ed. Taylor & Francis.
- Constable A and Lamont C (2006) Building defects. RICS Business Services.
- Dijksman K (2007) The planning game: an insider’s guide to planning permissions for newbuilds and extensions. Ovolo Publishing.
- Fawcett AP (2003) Architecture: design notebook. 2nd ed. Architectural Press.
- Graham P (2003) Building ecology: first principles for a sustainable built environment. Blackwell Science.
- Parnham P and Rispin C (2000) Residential property appraisal. Routledge.
- Ranns R and Ranns E (2005) Practical construction management. 2nd ed. Routledge.
- Smith RE (2006) Planning control: development, permission and enforcement. RICS Business Services.
- Rural and Industrial Design and building Association (2009) The farm buildings handbook. RIDBA.
- Walker A (2007) Project management in construction. 5th ed. Blackwell Publishing.