Aspects of public policy formulation; the significance and evolution of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) and the World Trade Organisation (WTO) and its effect on UK agriculture.
Current EU and UK Legislation relevant to land based industries (e.g. Farm Waste regs, NVZs, Control of Pesticide regulations, Health and Safety, Environmental protection, etc.)
Basic Payment Scheme, Cross compliance, SMRs and GAECs and Agri-Environment Schemes.
Farm Assurance Schemes.
Management plans and codes of practice.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the range of rural policies
- Demonstrate an awareness of the impact of policy on countryside management
- Compile the relevant management plans as required under current EU, UK and DEFRA policy
- Demonstrate an awareness of farm assurance protocols
- Demonstrate an awareness of regulations affecting farm businesses, especially those that are current and topical
|Coursework||1 x report/exercise||70%|
|Examination||1 x 1.5 hour exam||30%|
Assessments may differ in 2020/21 due to adjustments for Covid-19. Please check Gateway for the latest regulations.
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- Relevant DEFRA publications
- DEFRA website