- Nutrition and diet formulation for different species.
- The structure and importance of the industry in the UK, EU and World, with reference to key constraints on production, efficiency of resource use and product quality.
- Animal health and welfare.
- Production for a specific market.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Discuss the comparative importance of the UK industry and recognise the constraints on production and position within the global market.
- Evaluate the suitability of a health plan required under current legislation and farm assurance protocols
- Formulate a feed ration for a particular livestock enterprise
- Interpret physical signs and key performance indicator data to assess the quality of animals
|Coursework||Ration formulation exercise||50%|
|Time limited assessment||Health plan evaluation||50%|
Assessments may differ in 2020/21 due to adjustments for Covid-19. Please check Gateway for the latest regulations.
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- Andrieu, S., Warren, H Ruminant formula for the future, Wageningen Academic,, 2009
- Alderman, G Energy and protein requirements of ruminants, CAB International,, c1993
- Allen, D. (1990). Planned Beef Production and Marketing. Blackwell Scientific.
- Arey D 2006 Animal welfare aspects of good agricultural practice: pig production [Book] shelf no: 636.4083
- Britz T J 2008 Advanced dairy science and technology [Book] shelf no: 637
- Burton E 2016 Sustainable poultry production in Europe [Book] shelf no: 636.5
- Collacott B 2016 A brief history of milk production: from farm to market [Book] shelf no: 380.14171
- Croston, D. and Pollott, G.E. (1994). Planned Sheep Production. (2nd edition). Blackwell Scientific.
- DairyCo 2012 Breeding+: breeding improvement programme [Book] shelf no: 636.214082
- Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs 2012 Progress towards a sustainable future for livestock farming [Book] shelf no: 338.176
- DOBBS M 2003 The role of the veterinary surgeon in modern dairy production in the UK:
- Eblex 2007 Beef production from the dairy herd [Book] shelf no: 636.213082
- Fitzgerald S 2013 Animal health in an expanding dairy industry [Book] shelf no: 636.2089
- Flanders F B 2010 Modern livestock and poultry production 8th ed. [Book] shelf no: 636
- Food Chain Centre 2005 Improving competitive advantage: on-farm scorecard - a guide for livestock farmers [Book] shelf no: 338.176
- Forbes, J. M Voluntary food intake and diet selection in farm animals, 2nd Edition, CABI, 2007
- Fox C 2003 Benchmarking dairy farm efficiency [Book] shelf no: 338.177
- Frandson, R.D., Wilkie, W. and Fails, A.D. (2003). Anatomy and Physiology of Farm Animals. (6th edition). Lippincott Williams and Williams.
- Frost D 2007 Organic upland beef and sheep production [Book] shelf no: 338.176
- Fuller, M. F The encyclopedia of farm animal nutrition, CABI Pub., 2004 Gadd J 2011 Modern pig production technology: a practical guide to profit [Book] shelf no: 636.4
- Garnsworthy, Philip C 2006 Recent developments in non-ruminant nutrition Nottingham University Press.
- Garnsworthy, Philip C, Packington, 2013 Recent advances in animal nutrition
- Geers R 2006 Livestock production and society [Book] shelf no: 636
- Gregory N G 2007 Animal welfare and meat production 2nd ed. [Book] shelf no. 636.083
- HOGEVEEN H 2005 Mastitis in dairy production: current knowledge and future solutions [Book] shelf no: 636.21408981
- de Jong P 2013 Sustainable dairy production [E-book] shelf no: 637
- Lawrence, T. L. J, Fowler, V. R, Growth of farm animals, 2nd Edition, CABI
- LLOYDS TSB 2009 Livestock production: dairy, beef and sheep farming [Book] shelf no: 338.176
- Malik P K 2015 Livestock production and climate change [Book] shelf no: 636
- McDonald, P Animal nutrition, 7th Edition, Pearson, 2011
- PYE-SMITH C 2003 Batteries not included: organic farming and animal welfare [Book] shelf no: 636.083
- Robinson T 2012 Global Livestock Production Systems [Book] shelf no 338.176
- Rushton J 2009 The economics of animal health and production [Book; e-book] shelf no. 636.0896
- Sylvester-Bradley R 2005 Yields of farmed species: constraints and opportunities in the 21st century [Book] shelf no: 338.16
- Taylor-Pickard J A 2007 Gaining the edge in pork and poultry production: enhancing efficiency, quality and safety [Book] shelf no: 338.176
- Whittemore C T 2006 Whittemore's science and practice of pig production 3rd ed. [Book] shelf no: 636.4
- Wilson R. T 1995 Livestock production systems [Book] shelf no: 636.00913
- Wood, J. D, 2011 Nutrition and climate change, Nottingham University Press
- COMPASSION IN WORLD FARMING 2010 Animal welfare aspects of good agricultural practice: pig production [DVD] shelf no: 636.4083
- Milk Development Council 2009 Best practice on a dairy farm [DVD] shelf no: 636.214
- Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Salmonella in livestock production in GB [Online resource]
- Animal and Plant Health Agency [online resource]
- Ewing & Eblex The Mini Feeds Directory, [online resource]
- National Animal Diseases Information Service [online resource]
- British Society of Animal Science [online resource]
- World Organisation for Animal Health [online resource]
- AHDB Beef and Lamb [online resource]
- AHDB Pork [online resource]
- AHDB Dairy [online resource]
- Science Daily (Agriculture and Food) [online resource]