The module is designed to equip students with the theoretical skills and practical tools to capture, assimilate and analyse market data in its application to real estate practice.
- Measurement of land and buildings prior to the capture of comparable evidence, and how measurement data impacts on value
- Analysis of market sales and rental evidence
- Investors in real estate; a comparison between a variety of investors and developers.
- Impact of economic cycles on property investment and occupation.
- Macro-economic policy and its impact on real estate investment and occupation
- History of property cycles and impact on real estate decision making.
- Big Data and property technology
- Information technology: a consideration of the analytical data packages available; application and impact on the residential and commercial property sectors.
- Residential property- how the sales and marketing functions are changing in residential agency with new IT functions together with the ease of access and availability of ‘Big Data’ and its interpretation.
- Impact of market data and trends on property management. (PS)
- Structural changes in the markets and impact on lease structures (PS)
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
1. Identify and analyse sources of reliable market data in order to identify performance and trends.
2. Explain how changes in the economy affect decision making from both the real estate investor’s and occupier’s perspective.
3 Explain how market evidence may be captured, analysed and used in providing services in real estate practice.
4. Demonstrate an ability to use audio and visual means to communicate effectively the requested data, analysis and interconnections.
|Coursework||An individually assessed voice-narrated PowerPoint report on a specific property market of the student’s choice||100%|
Students should be familiar with the following:-
- Allen, F., Barth, J. R. and Yago, G. (2012) Fixing the housing market: financial inovations for the future. FT Press
- Barras, R. (2009) Building cysles: growth and instability (book), Wiley-Blackwell-RICS Research
- Myers, D. (2011) Economics and Property, 3rd ed, Estates Gazette ebook available from Dawsonera; see RAU Library online
- Myers, D. (2006) Economics and Property: the Estates Gazette guide, 2nd ed, Estates Gazette
- Myers, D. (2016) New economic thinking and real estate, Wiley Blackwell
- Stutely, R. (2010) The Economist guide to economic indicators: making sense of economic indicators, Economist Books, 7th ed, p.256
- CoStar (use log-in details provided to you by CoStar).
- MSCI Real Estate- owners of IPD
- Property Week
- BCIS- Building Cost Information Service (Please note that BCIS Online is only available if you are on campus)