The economically and environmentally sustainable production of the following crops:
- Cereals – wheat, barley, oats, rye, triticale, durum, maize.
- Oilseeds – oil seed rape, linseed, sunflowers.
- Grain Legumes – peas, field beans.
- Root Crops – potatoes, sugar beet.
- Non-food crops including renewable energy crops, pharmaceuticals, etc
- Tropical Crops
- Field-scale vegetables
Considering the agronomy aspects (an applied science which uses biology, biochemistry, pathology, botany and entomology as its foundation) and economic factors of variety and species choice, crop establishment, nutrition, crop protection, harvesting, storage, crop quality, uses and market requirements.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Demonstrate a thorough and deep understanding of the agronomic factors involved in producing crops in integrated, sustainable farming systems.
- Evaluate the critical management factors involved in profitable crop production.
|Examination||Unseen exam (2 hours)||60%|
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- FINCH, H. J. S., SAMUEL, A. M. & LANE G.P.F. (2002). Lockhart & Wiseman’s Crop Husbandry including Grassland. 8th Ed. Woodhead Publishing [9th Edition will be published in 2014]
- BRAY, W. E. & THOMPSON, K. J. (1985). Sugar Beet - A Growers Guide. 3rd
- Ed. Sugar Beet Research and Education Committee
- TURNER, J. (1987). Linseed Law. BASF
- WARD, J. T. et al (1985). Oilseed Rape. Farming Press
- HGCA. (1998). Crop Management Options at Low Cereal Prices. HGCA
- HGCA. Food Crops of Britain: an introduction to Cereals and Oilseeds. HGCA
- HGCA. (2013). Recommended List 2014/15 for Cereals and Oilseeds. HGCA.
- HGCA. (2003). The Wheat Disease Management Guide. HGCA.
- HGCA. (2001). Introductory Guide to Malting Barley. HGCA.
- HGCA. (2002). The Grain Storage Guide. HGCA.
- YOUNIE, D. (2002). Organic Cereals and Pulses. Chalcombe Publications.
- SYLVESTER-BRADLEY, R. (1997). Potential of Precision Farming from an Agronomic Perspective. HGCA.
- DRAYCOTT, A.P. (2003). Nutrients for Sugar Beet Production. CABI.
- British Sugar Beet Review. Quarterly Periodical.
- POWELL, T.J. (2001). Understanding the Effects of Soil Nutrients on Potato Tuber Quality. RAC Dissertation.
- HARRIS, P.M. (1992). The Potato Crop: the scientific basis of improvement. (2nd Ed.) Chapman and Hall.
- British Potato Council: Potato Weekly. Periodical.
- Potato Review. Periodical.
- SCOTTISH AGRICULTURAL COLLEGES. (1997). Combining Peas. SAC
- PGRO. (2007). Pulse Agronomy Guide: advice on agronomy and varieties of peas, field beans and lupins. PGRO