Real Estate Business and Finance
- Module code
- Module leader
- Simon Huston
- Module level
- Module credits
- Min study time
- 150 hours
- Contact Hrs within study time
- 8 hours (Distance learning)
- Teaching period
- Varies (Distance learning)
This module reinforces and extends knowledge gained in the Business Finance for Real Estate Level 4 module with a specific focus on real estate.
This module is delivered in three major units:
- Key aspects of company accounts, key investment ratios and measures, as well as the competitive position of the firm. An assessment of a company’s current financial position and its past performance are essential in examining future prospects of a particular business when advising a client.
- Company analysis in the context of the Investment and Profits methods of valuation.
- Financial accounting systems and accounting rules relating to financial reporting of real estate assets and liabilities
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Interpret company accounts to be able to assist a client in determining the financial standing of an individual company.
- Understand the investment spectrum.
- Apply the analysis of a company’s financial standing to the investment and profits methods of valuation.
- Understand financial accounting systems and accounting rules relating to financial reporting of real estate assets and liabilities.
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following
- Arnold, G. (2009) The Financial Times Guide to Investing: The Definitive Companion to Investment and the Financial Markets. 2 ed. Financial Times/ Prentice Hall
- Brown, G.R. and Matysiak, G. (1999) Real Estate Investment: A Capital Market Approach. Financial Times/ Prentice Hall
- Geltner, D.M. and Miller, N.G. (2006) Commercial Real Estate Analysis and Investments. SWEP / International Student Ed.
- Isaac, D. (2003) Property Finance. 2nd ed. Palgrave Macmillan
- Blackledge, M. (2009) Introducing Property Valuation. Routledge. Available as an e-book through Dawsonera (via Library website).
- Scarrett, D. (2008) Property Valuation: The 5 Methods. 2nd ed. Routledge. Available as an e-book through Dawsonera (via Library website)
- Shapiro, E., Mackmin, D. and Sams, G. (2012) Modern methods of valuation
- 11th ed. Estates Gazette. Available as an e-book through Dawsonera (via Library website)
- Journal of Property Finance