- Statutory basis of valuation for capital taxation purposes, application of statutory assumptions with reference to the appropriate legal authority
- Non domestic rates law, methods of valuation and valuation practice including appeals and dispute resolution
- Council tax valuation, law and practice
- Compulsory purchase-statutory valuation principles and the application of the relevant law
- Planning compensation including planning permission and its effect on value, and compensation for adverse planning decisions
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Select, explain and evaluate appropriate approaches and methods of valuation for the valuation of property for taxation purposes
- Analyse comparable market evidence and apply the statutory assumptions and hypotheses to the valuation of properties for non-domestic rating and council tax purposes
- Critically analyse and apply the relevant law and practice relating to compulsory purchase and planning compensation
- Carry out valuations for compulsory purchase and planning compensation
- Provide advice relating to valuation for taxation, compulsory purchase and planning compensation
|Coursework||Statutory valuation for tax purposes||40%|
|Coursework||Statutory valuation for compulsory purchase and planning compensation||60%|
Assessments may differ in 2020/21 due to adjustments for Covid-19. Please check Gateway for the latest regulations.
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- Baum, A. et al. (2007) Statutory Valuations. 4th ed. Estates Gazette
- Blackledge, M.(2009) Introducing Property Valuation, Routledge
- Bond, P.H. and Brown, P.K. (2018) Rating valuation: principles and practice. 4th edn. Routledge.
- Davidson, A. ed. (2013) Parry’s Valuation and Investment Tables. 13th ed. Routledge
- Denyer-Green, B. (2009). Compulsory Purchase and Compensation. (9th edition). Estates Gazette.
- Journal of Property Valuation And Investment
- Rees W. and R. Hayward (2002) Valuation principles into practice. Glasgow, Bell and Bain
- RICS (2014) RICS Valuation – Professional Standards. (9th ed) RICS Books.
- Scarrett, D. (2008) Property Valuation: The Five Methods. 2nd ed. Routledge