The module will further develop the academic skills embedded in RAU programmes at level 4 and will extend the communication skills to include professional communication standards and modes, time management, organisational skills and how to manage large data sets. The module will also focus on students’ personal skills with a focus on developing a professional CV and personal resilience, interviewing and negotiating skills, training needs analysis, personal benchmarking, working in a group or as an individual, leading, mentoring and supervision. The module will discuss the impact of legislation on professional practice and issues related to the adoption and implementation of ethical codes of conduct in the work environment.
Future employability will be supported by developing job searching and networking skills and the students’ ability to engage with professional networks such as LinkedIn. Students will be introduced to consultancy skills such as people management, the identification of objectives, development of a project plan and delivery of a report. The module will also support the students’ in developing an understanding of their own personal strengths and weaknesses and their individual learning and research styles and competencies.
The module will be structured around shared lectures and interactive sessions including a series of tutorial sessions where contextualised examples and tasks, specific to the students’ subject discipline, will provide opportunities to practice, develop and apply the skills that they have learnt
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Apply professional communications standards, key skills and competencies to simulated employment scenarios.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of theories and principles underlying key professional and employability skills
- Design a structured approach to managing a project or problem-solving scenario in a professional context
- Recognise and critically appraise their own skills and abilities as a problem solver and researcher
- Reflect upon their use of a range of professional and personal skills and their potential application in an employment environment.
|Coursework||Group report (case study based, 3,000 words)||70%|
|Coursework||Reflection on individual professional skills (1,000 words)||30%|
Assessments may differ in 2021/22 due to adjustments for Covid-19. Please check Gateway for the latest regulations.