The aim of this module is to give students the skills required to survey, inspect and measure a range of building types including domestic, commercial, industrial and agricultural. Students will learn to use and apply contemporary approaches to site and building surveys and measurement that are consistent with UK and International Standards. They will also develop their ability to uncover and recognise defects through building inspections, including planning inspections, undertaking risk assessments and advising on defect remediation.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of surveying regulations and practice.
- Demonstrate and understanding of the data and information required to measure land and buildings and be able to demonstrate common and contemporary approaches to measurement.
- Demonstrate an understanding of and an ability to use building information systems and related software.
- Be able to plan, undertake and report on a building inspection, including advising on the remediation of building defects.
|Coursework||Portfolio of surveying, inspection and measurement assignments||50%|
|Examination||2hr unseen examination||50%|
Assessments may differ in 2020/21 due to adjustments for Covid-19. Please check Gateway for the latest regulations.
- Glover, P. (2013) Building Surveys, 8th ed. Routledge.
- Watt, D.S. (2007) Building pathology: principles and practice, 2nd ed. Blackwell.
- Packer, A. (2016) Building measurement. Routledge.
- Marshall, D., Worthing, D., Heath, R. and Dann, N. (2013) Understanding housing defects. Routledge.