This module aims to support students personal and professional development by giving them an understanding of employment as a rural practice surveyor and some of the issues encountered both within individual employer organisations and the wider profession as a member of the RICS (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and CAAV (Central Association of Agricultural Valuers). The content is delivered by lectures, tutorials and coursework.
It considers issues based around two main themes; business behaviours and business management. The former concentrates on ethics, respect and employment law and the latter on firm structures and finance and marketing.
Topics include the nature of organisations which employ rural surveyors, principally but not exclusively private practice firms; professional codes of conduct and ethics; employment law; client care and management; practice management and progression, business communication and marketing.
It is thus a broadly based module covering a range of personal and team skills as well as technical and business knowledge. There is an emphasis on team working within the module.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Apply professional codes of conduct and ethics to work in practice
- Explain the legal framework governing employer/employee relations
- Identify the key factors for successful practice management
- Use appropriate methods for communicating findings to clients
- Create a marketing strategy for a rural surveying practice
|Coursework||Group Marketing Report||50%|
|Examination||Exam (2 hours)||50%|
- Blythe J (2012) Essentials of marketing. 5th ed. Pearson. [Also available as e-book]
- CAAV (2010) Notes for probationers on office systems and procedures applicable to efficiency and PI responsibility. 2nd ed. CAAV.
- Imber A (2005) Business skills for general practice surveyors. EG Books.
- RICS (2010) Practice management: guidelines: the management of surveying businesses. 3rd ed. RICS Guidance Note. RICS. Available to download through RICS isurv on Library webpage.
- RICS (2019) The Global Professional and Ethical Standards Available to download direct from RICS website
- RICS (2019) Ethics tree – are you taking the right approach? Available to download direct from RICS website
- RICS (2019) Ethics Standards – FAQ’s Available to download direct from RICS website