The content of this module will include:
- The role and importance of research in contemporary organisations to understand client and consumer needs and behaviours;
- Research approaches and how research is used to derive a competitive advantage;
- Framing research needs, aims and research questions;
- Appropriate design, planning and delivery of research projects;
- How to critique research plans and projects;
- Sources of data available to business researchers (qualitative and quantitative), modes of collection and how to generate primary data;
- The use of desktop studies to inform research projects;
- Communicating primary and secondary research (literature reviews, and structure of reports;
- Practical issues in research and ‘best practice’; and
- Research ethics.
On successful completion of this module a student should be able to:
- Explain the relationship between theory, hypothesis, research questions, investigation and analysis;
- Apply the principal methods of business research using both quantitative and qualitative modes of analysis, in particular analysis of secondary data, use of surveys, qualitative interviews, focus groups, and ethnography and ethnographic research;
- Interpret the results of data analysis, and understand the strengths and weaknesses of descriptive and inferential methods; and
- Prepare an effective research proposal, formulate research questions, and choose appropriate methods of data collection and analysis.
|Presentation||Presentation of research project plan (10 Minutes)||30%|
|Proposal||Research Proposal (2000 words)||70%|
Assessments may differ in 2020/21 due to adjustments for Covid-19. Please check Gateway for the latest regulations.
- Collis, J., & Hussey, R. (2009). Business Research: A Practical Guide for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Students (3rd ed.). Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- Bell, E., Bryman, A., & Harly, B. (2018). Business Research Methods (5th ed.). OUP Oxford.
- Saunders, M., Lewis, P., & Thornhill, A. (2015). Research Methods for Business Students (7th ed.). Pearson.