Commercial Property Management
- Module code
- Module leader
- Peter Smith
- Module level
- Module credits
- Min study time
- 150 hours
- Contact Hrs within study time
- 42 hours
- Teaching period
- Semester 1
Legal framework underpinning the management of commercial property; leases and licences, contractual problems encountered during the currency of leases and how managers deal with them, the process of statutory termination of business property leases, lease renewal procedures, how to avoid granting security of tenure, management of service charges and repairs, planning regulations and the development of commercial property, managing a commercial property manager’s office and the inherent administrative procedures, tenant selection and mix, marketing of commercial property, health and safety and risk assessment, disabled access, codes of practice.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Offer advice on the establishment of client objectives.
- Design and review a strategy for the delivery of client objectives.
- Design and execute procedures for operational management.
- Integrate and synthesise relevant information and principles from various disciplines including law and town and country planning to solve problems encountered in commercial property management.
|Coursework||Case study assignment||60%|
|Examination||Seen exam (2 hours)||40%|
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- Bannister, E.(2009) Commercial leases 2009: a surveyor’s guide, RICS Books
- Garner, S. and Frith, A. (2013). A practical approach to landlord and tenant. 7th ed. Oxford University Press.
- Banfield, A. (2005) Stapleton’s Real Estate Management Practice. Routledge, Abingdon
- Scarrett, D. (2011). Property Asset Management. 3rd ed. Routledge.
- RICS (2014) Service charges in commercial property, RICS Code of practice, 3rd ed, RICS.
- RICS (2011) Commercial property management in England and Wales, 2nd ed,
- Rimmer, S. (2016-Nov) Managing commercial property, Straightforward publishing, Brighton.
- RICS, (2014) Real Estate Management, 2nd ed, RICS.
- Wilkie, M. (2013) Landlord and tenant law, 6th ed, Palgrave Macmillan
- RICS (2016), Property Journal, [ bi-monthly journal with and commercial property, residential property and the Arts], RICS.
- Wood, D. et al. (2011) Law and the built environment. 2nd ed. Wiley Blackwell, Chichester