This module covers the aspects of animal, predator and habitat management required for the major quarry species in the UK. These include deer, pheasant, grouse, salmon and trout. Students will study the relevant legislation and regulation and through the use of case studies examine how they are applied and interpreted. The implications of management decisions will be examined through economic analysis and as well as the impact on other farm enterprises. Students will have the unique opportunity to hear from a range of stakeholder perspectives through the use of industry representatives and supported by visits to relevant estates and enterprises.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Evaluate identified management decisions on habitat and species outcomes for the purpose of game and deer management.
- Evaluate identified management decisions on economic performance of a sporting enterprise
- Critique the regulatory and legislative framework as it applies to sporting rights.
- Evaluate the roles of major organisations working in this arena.
|Coursework||Individual field report 3000 words||100%|
Assessments may differ in 2020/21 due to adjustments for Covid-19. Please check Gateway for the latest regulations.
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- Buner, F. and Aebischer, N.J. (2008) Guidelines for Re-establishing Grey Partridges through Releasing. The Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust.
- Riddall, J. and Trevelyan, J. (2001) Rights of Way – A Guide to Law and Practice. Open Space Society and Ramblers’ Association. 3rd Edition.
- Griffith, D. (2004) Deer Management – Quality in Southern England. Dominic Griffith.
- Sage, R. (2006) Guidelines for Sustainable Gamebird Releasing. Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust.
- Sage, R. and Swan, M. (2003) Woodland Conservation and Pheasants. The Game Conservancy Trust.
- Tapper, S. (1999) A Question of Balance. The Game Conservancy Trust.
- Tapper, S. (2001, revised 2006). Conserving the Grey Partridge. The Game Conservancy Trust.
- Price, C. (2003) Game Shooting and the Law. CLA Advisory Handbook.
- Shoot Benchmarking Survey Results 2010/11 Season. Smiths Gore.
- The Wild Game Guide. Food Standards Agency. 1 October 2008 version.
- Game Shoot Standards 2008: User Guidance www.gameshootstandards.co.uk
- Value Added Tax – Sporting Rights www.basc.org.uk
- Game Act 1831 www.opsi.gov.uk
- Deer Act 1991 www.opsi.gov.uk
- The Wild Game Meat (Hygiene and Inspection) Regulations 1995 www.opsi.gov.uk
- The Code of Good Shooting Practice 2008.
- (2005) Partridge Conservation Fact Sheets. The Game Conservancy Trust.
- A Future for the Hen Harrier in England. Natural England.
- Proceedings of the 60th Meeting of the SCOCS Sports posted on Gateway.