- Species and habitat management, legislation and regulation, economics.
- Lectures by visiting speakers such as a sporting agent, a deer manager and representatives of countryside organisations.
- Visits to a number of farms and estates, as practicable, to illustrate and discuss the management of shooting and fishing.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Discuss the habitat requirements and management of the major quarry species in the UK (including pheasant, partridge, grouse, trout, salmon).
- Discuss the impact, habitat requirements and management of major predator/vermin species in the UK.
- Outline the implementation of a deer management plan.
- Understand the regulatory background to the use of sporting rights.
- Consider the economics of sporting enterprises.
- Evaluate the roles of major organisations working in this arena.
|Coursework||Individual field report||40%|
|Examination||Exam (3 hours)||60%|
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- Buner, F. and Aebischer, N.J. (2008) Guidelines for Re-establishing Grey Partridges through Releasing. The Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust.
- Riddall, J. and Trevelyan, J. (2001) Rights of Way – A Guide to Law and Practice. Open Space Society and Ramblers’ Association. 3rd Edition.
- Griffith, D. (2004) Deer Management – Quality in Southern England. Dominic Griffith.
- Sage, R. (2006) Guidelines for Sustainable Gamebird Releasing. Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust.
- Sage, R. and Swan, M. (2003) Woodland Conservation and Pheasants. The Game Conservancy Trust.
- Tapper, S. (1999) A Question of Balance. The Game Conservancy Trust.
- Tapper, S. (2001, revised 2006). Conserving the Grey Partridge. The Game Conservancy Trust.
- Price, C. (2003) Game Shooting and the Law. CLA Advisory Handbook.
- Shoot Benchmarking Survey Results 2010/11 Season. Smiths Gore.
- The Wild Game Guide. Food Standards Agency. 1 October 2008 version.
- Game Shoot Standards 2008: User Guidance www.gameshootstandards.co.uk
- Value Added Tax – Sporting Rights www.basc.org.uk
- Game Act 1831 www.opsi.gov.uk
- Deer Act 1991 www.opsi.gov.uk
- The Wild Game Meat (Hygiene and Inspection) Regulations 1995 www.opsi.gov.uk
- The Code of Good Shooting Practice 2008.
- (2005) Partridge Conservation Fact Sheets. The Game Conservancy Trust.
- A Future for the Hen Harrier in England. Natural England.
- Proceedings of the 60th Meeting of the SCOCS Sports posted on Gateway.