- Uses of managerial accounting and its objectives.
- Cost behaviour and categorisation. Cost-volume-profit relationships.
- Traditional product costing vs. activity-based product costing.
- Relevant information and decision-making.
- Preparing the master budget.
- Flexible budgets and variance analysis.
- Job-costing of products and services.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Analyse costs and prepare Profit and Loss statements using contribution margin format and activity-based costing.
- Distinguish between relevant and irrelevant information in making managerial decisions.
- Understand the budget process and prepare a master budget, flexible budget, and perform variance analysis within a managerial accounting system.
- Determine product and service costs using both job costing and process costing.
|Coursework||3000 word report and 10-15 minute presentation of findings||100%|
Assessments may differ in 2020/21 due to adjustments for Covid-19. Please check Gateway for the latest regulations.
Students should be familiar with the content of the following:
- Weetman, P. (2011). Financial and Management Accounting, 5E. Financial Times Press (Pearson Education).
- Bhimani, Horngren, Sundem, Stratton, Schatzberg and Burgstahler. (2012). Introduction to Management, 1E. Pearson Education.
- Bhimani and Horngren. (2008). Management and Cost Accounting. (4th edition). Pearson Education.