Urban Design and Development
- Module code
- Module leader
- Iain Butler
- Module level
- Module credits
- Min study time
- 150 hours
- Contact Hrs within study time
- 30 hours
- Teaching period
- October – May Tuesday pm
Consideration will be given to the history of the built form, in the context of design and it evolutionary change.
The impact of design and development on peoples’ perceptions of buildings and how they might be used, including space planning. How old environments, influence new.
Consideration and evaluation of government, environmental and social policy and guidance on the design and development of buildings in urban and rural areas. The role of the town and country planning system. The influence of national, regional and local planning guidance on the design and development of buildings.
End user and investment perspectives on the design and development of buildings, within the context of environmental and sustainability policies.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Critically appraise and evaluate buildings and spaces within a social, economic and environmental context.
- Critically review social, economic and environmental policy and guidance and their impact on design and development of buildings, within the context of the property market.
- Present in an effective format, sound analysis, assessment and proposals.
|Coursework||1 x essay||50%|
|Examination||1 x 2 hour unseen exam||50%|
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- RATCLIFFE, J. STUBBS, M. SHEPERD, M (2004). Urban Planning and Real Estate Development. Spon Press.
- ADAMS, D. WATKINS, C. (2002). Greenfields, Brownfields and Housing Development. (Real Estate Issues). Blackwell Science.
- CADMAN, D. TOPPING, R. (1995). Property Development. 4th Ed. E & FN Spon.
- CARMONA, M. CARMONA, S. ; GALLENT, N. (2003). Delivering New Homes: processes, planners and providers. Routledge.
- EMANUWA, J. (2000). Property Development Handbook. T Dimension Publishing.
- FREY, H. (1999). Designing the City: towards a more sustainable urban form. E & FN Spon.
- GUY, S. ; HENNEBERRY, J. (2002). Development and Developers: perspectives on property. (Real estate issues). Blackwell Science.
- KEEPING, M. ; SHIERS, D E. (2004). Sustainable Property Development: a guide to real estate and the environment. Blackwell Science.
- MILLINGTON, A F. (2000). Property Development. Estates Gazette.
- SYMS, P. (2002). Land, Development and Design. Blackwell Science.
- SYMS, P. (2004). Previously Developed Land. Blackwell Publishing.
- URBAN TASK FORCE (1999) Towards an Urban Renaissance. E & FN Spon.
- WILKINSON, S. and REED, R. (2008) Property Development. 5th Ed. Routledge.
- Current journals in University Library, especially Estates Gazette, Planning, etc.
- Web-based resources, e.g. the RICS, DGLC, DEFRA, etc.