After an introductory overview of atmospheric chemistry and systems, the phenomenon of climate change is explored in relation to the natural and anthropogenic drivers contributing to change. The module then evaluates the strengths and limitations of predictive models and the scenarios they create before reviewing strategies for land and community development in relation to the uncertainties of predicting climate change. Adaptation and mitigation strategies are both examined.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Evaluate the contribution of natural and anthropogenic factors to climate change models and scenarios.
- Appraise strategies aimed at adapting to climate change scenarios.
- Evaluate strategies aimed at mitigating climate change
|Report||Scientific report (3000 words)||100%|
Assessments may differ in 2020/21 due to adjustments for Covid-19. Please check Gateway for the latest regulations.
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- Archer, D. and Rahmstorf, S. (2010) The Climate Crisis: An Introductory Guide to Climate Change. Cambridge University Press.
- Becken, S. and Hay, J.E. (eds.) (2007). Tourism and Climate Change: Risks and Opportunities. Channel View Publications.
- Ching, L., Edwards, S. and Sciabbala, N. (eds.) (2011). Climate Change and Food Systems Resilience in Sub-Saharan Africa. FAO.
- Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (2011). Agriculture, Food Security and Climate Change: Outlook for Knowledge, Tools and Action. Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research. (CCAFS Report No 3).
- Defra http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/climate/
- DECC http://www.decc.gov.uk/
- Gitay, H. (2002). Climate Change and Biodiversity. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
- IPCC (2014). Fifth Assessment Report: http://www.ipcc.ch/
- Lobell, D. and Burke, M. (eds.) (2010). Climate Change and Food Security: Adapting Agriculture to a Warmer World. Springer Science + Business Media.
- Markandya, A. and Halsnaes, K. (2002). Climate Change and Sustainable Development: Prospects for Developing Countries. Earthscan publications.
- Parry, M. (2009). Assessing the Costs of Adaptation to Climate Change: A Review of the UNFCCC and other Recent Estimates. International Institute for Environment and Development.
- Stern, N. (2009). A Blueprint for a Safer Planet: How to Manage Climate Change and Create a New Era of Progress and Prosperity. Bodley Head.
- UKCIP (2009). UK Climate Projections http://www.ukcip.org.uk/wordpress/wp-content/PDFs/UKCP09_Trends.pdf
- Williams, C.J.R. and Kniveton, D.R. (eds.) (2011). African Climate and Climate Change: Physical, Social and Political Perspectives. Springer Science + Business Media. (Advances in Global Change Research, 43).