Advances in Food Science and Technology
- Module code
- Module leader
- John Dooley
- Module level
- Module credits
- Min study time
- 150 hours
- Contact Hrs within study time
- 25 hours
- Teaching period
- Semester 2
This module reviews current advances in food science and technology (such as emerging technology and packaging) and Food engineering. Key themes developed include:
- Updates on emerging technologies in food production.
- Food product development.
- Waste management in the food industry.
During the module, students will work in teams of 3–5 to address an aspect of product innovation (e.g. NPD, reformulation, waste management, packaging etc) with a real business situation as well as advise the business client on their food safety and quality management. This aspect of the module will be based on either:
- the Ecotrophelia Food Innovation, Student Awards scheme run by the Institute of Food Science and Technology (IFST) & Campden BRI. If appropriate, teams will be encouraged to enter this competition.
- Improving food nutrition, e.g. reduced fat/salt/sugar; higher protein; customer specific (i.e. foods for aging population)
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Refine their ability to research food industry developments and critically analyse the implications of innovation in the sector.
- Critically review, select and develop a new product taking into account regulatory, market and technological opportunities (innovation) and restrictions.
|Coursework||Practical exercise - New Product Development (NPD)||75%|
Students should be familiar with the content of the following:
- Sun, D. (2014). Emerging technologies for food processing, 2nd edition. Elsevier Academic Press. (ISBN: 9780124114791; eBook ISBN: 9780124104815).
- Campbell-Platt, G. (2009). Food Science and Technology. Wiley-Blackwell publishing Ltd, Chichester, UK. (ISBN 9780632064212).
- Tidd, J. and Bessant, J. (2013). Managing innovation: integrating technological, market and organizational change. 5th ed. John Wiley & Sons Ltd (ISBN: 9781118360637).
- Journal of Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies. (www.journals.elsevier.com/innovative-food-science-and-emerging-technologies). Accessed May 2017.
- Cagan, J. and Vogel, C.M. (2013). Creating breakthrough products: revealing the secrets that drive global innovation. 2nd edn. Pearson Education. (ISBN: 9780133011425).
- Trott, P. (2011). Innovation management and new product development. 5th edn. Harlow: Financial Times Prentice Hall. (ISBN: 9780273736561).
- Rafinejad, D. (2007). Innovation, product development and commercialization: case studies and key practices for market leadership. J Ross Publishing. (ISBN: 9781932159707).
- Burns, P. (2014). New venture creation: a framework for entrepreneurial start-ups. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Da-Wen Sun (2005). Emerging technologies for food processing, Elsevier Academic Press.
- Campden BRI – Training course materials
- Food Standard Agency (www.food.gov.uk/)