An introduction will be given to a novel farm situation as well as guidance on the assessment of potential and the formulation of the student's own individual plans. These will include detailed and viable plans for stocking and cropping as well as finance plans, gross margins, profit/loss accounts and cash-flow projections for a three year period. Plans for the alteration or erection of buildings, and the use of machinery and labour will also be required. Students will be expected to demonstrate compliance of their plans with the codes of good agricultural practice for the protection of water, soil and air and, if appropriate, with environmental schemes.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Undertake a resource appraisal and a full farm business planning exercise in an unfamiliar situation.
- Set a farm business plan into the context of compliance with legal requirements and regulations.
|Coursework||A realistic, complete business plan report.||100%|
Students should be familiar with the content of the following:
- Agro Business Consultants (annual). Agricultural Budgeting and Costing Book. Agro Business Consultants.
- Blackwell, E. (2011) How to prepare a business plan (5th edition). Kogan Page, London.
- Dyson, J. (2010) Accounting for non-accounting students (10th Ed). FT Prentice Hall
- DEFRA (2004) Getting started in farm management accounting: part 1: using the farm accounts to point the way. (PB; 8916A). Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
- DEFRA (2004) Getting started in farm management accounting: part 2: mapping out a farming future. (PB; 8916B). Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
- Landers, A. (2000) Farm machinery: Selection, investment and management. 2nd Ed. Farming Press
- Nix, J.S. (Annual publication released in October) Farm management pocketbook. Agro Business Consultants
- Turner, J. and Taylor, M. (1998) Applied farm management. 2nd ed. Blackwell Science (Note: This edition is now out of print but a number of copies are available in the library)
- Warren, M. (1998) Financial management for farmers and rural managers. 4th ed. Blackwell Science
- Findlay, D. C. et al. (1984). Soils and their use in South West England. Soil Survey
- Wood, F. and Sangster, A. (2012). Business accounting 1 (12th ed.). Financial Times - Prentice Hall.