Farm Business Management
- Module code
- Module leader
- Rita Walsh
- Module level
- Module credits
- Min study time
- 150 hours
- Contact Hrs within study time
- 30 hours
- Teaching period
- Semester 1
- Record keeping, accounting and finance for farming businesses.
- Farm business appraisal.
- Farm planning and budgeting (including labour and machinery).
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Understand how to administer and manage the finances of a farming business.
- Evaluate performance of farm enterprises and the overall farming business against appropriate benchmarking standards.
- Draw up plans and budgets and appreciate the constraints and opportunities set by physical resources and legal requirements (including those imposed by participation in government schemes).
Students should be familiar with the content of the following:
- Turner, J.T. and Taylor, M. (1998). Applied Farm Management. (2nd edition). Blackwell Science Ltd. Oxford. (Note this is out of print but several copies are available in the library).
- Nix, J.S. (annual). Farm Management Pocketbook. Andersons Centre, Melton Mowbray.