To provide the individual student with an opportunity to demonstrate project management techniques and leadership skills within an agreed working environment and to identify new knowledge, practice or policy for possible introduction to the workplace. This module requires students to develop an understanding of relevant research methodologies within a working environment and helps to develop project management and leadership skills through the implementation, delivery and final evaluation of the agreed project.
Projects will be identified through negotiation between the employer, training provider and student. Students will be supported by their line manager within their employer organisation and their tutor and supervised by a member of RAU academic staff.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills required for the successful management of an employment-based research project.
- Identify, research and analyse a specific work-based issue, problem or opportunity.
- Set the project in the context of the organisation, taking into account relevant theories and practices.
- Produce a research proposal, strategy and plan and show how appropriate goals will be achieved.
- Produce a final report of the research activity
|Coursework||Research proposal, strategy and plan||20%|
Students should be familiar with the content of the following:
- Alvesson, M. and Wilmott, H. ed., (2003), ‘Studying Management Critically’,
- Berk, K. N. & Carey, P. (1998) Data analysis with MS Excel. Duxbury Press.
- Brewerton, P. and Millward, L. (2001). Organizational research methods: a guide for students and researchers. Sage Publications.
- Cottrell, S. (2005). Critical thinking skills: developing effective analysis and argument. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Easterby-Smith, M; Thorpe, R. and Lowe, A. (2002). Management Research: an introduction; 2nd edition. Sage.
- Gill, J and Johnson, P (2002). Research methods for managers (3rd edition). Paul Chapman Publishing.
- McNiff, J.; Lomax, P. and Whitehead, J. (2003). You and your action research project; 2nd edition. Routledge-Falmer.
- Sharp, J A; Peters, S J and Howard, K (2002). Management of a student research project (3rd edition). Gower.