Food and Agri-Business Strategies
- Module code
- Module leader
- Module level
- Module credits
- Min study time
- 150 hours
- Contact Hrs within study time
- 30 hours
- Teaching period
- Semester 2
The module starts with an introduction looking at the value of strategy in achieving high performance in the food and agri-business sector.
During the autumn term, a number of relevant strategic models will be introduced. Students will learn how to use and evaluate these models to enable them to build up a repertoire of strategic concepts that will help them to make effective decisions in the increasingly competitive world of agri-business. Topics will include how strategy is made, food and agri-business management, environmental analysis of key issues affecting the food industry, international agri-business and the determinants of industry profit.
During the spring term the following topics will be covered: managing an agri-business, innovative strategies, business strategies in different industry and sectorial contexts, culture’s influence on strategy development, and implementing strategies for agri-business success. During the last session, food and agri-business global strategies will be discussed.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Demonstrate an ability to select and apply suitable strategic frameworks to analyse complex agri-business situations.
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding of key factors impacting upon the food and agri-business sector.
- Communicate, in written form, an analysis of complex agri-business situations and suggested courses of action.
- Evaluate management issues unique to food and agri-business.
- Critically appraise the implications of global agri-business on firm competitiveness.
|Examination||Case-study based (seen) exam paper||100%|
Students should be familiar with the content of the following:
- Beierlein,J.G., Schneeberger, K.C. and Osburn, D.D. (2012) Principles of Agribusiness Management. 4th edition. New York: Waveland Press, Inc.
- Olson, K.D. (2011) Economics of Farm Management in a Global Setting. UK: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Rickets, C. and Rickets, K.G. (2010) Agribusiness Fundamentals and Applications. 2nd edition. New York: Cengage Learning.
- Baker, G.A., Grunewald, O., Gorman, W.D. (2001) Introduction to Food and Agribusiness Management. U.S.: Prentice Hall.
- Sorensen, H.E. (2012) Business Development. A Market Oriented Perspective. UK: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Grant, R.M. and Jordan, J. (2012) Foundations of Strategy. UK: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Angwin, D., Cummings, S. and Smith, S. (2011)The Strategy Pathfinder. 2nd edition. UK: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- H,W, Volberda, H.W., Morgan, R.E., Reinmoeller, P.,Hitt, M.A., Ireland, R.D.and Hoskisson, R.E. (2011) Strategic Management. Competitiveness and Globalisation. UK: Cengage Learning EMEA.
- Johnson, G., Scholes, K., and Whittington, R. (2008). Exploring Corporate Strategy. 8th edition. UK: Prentice Hall.