- Advanced equine diseases including notifiable and exotic diseases
- Developments in equine immunology and vaccinations
- Musculoskeletal injuries and treatment options
- Equine respiratory diseases
- Veterinary diagnostic techniques, conventional and alternative treatments, owner responsibilities and legal limitations
- Other equine diseases of topical relevance
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
Select appropriate strategies to manage equine health and disease;
Critically appraise management strategies for prehabilitation or rehabilitation of equine diseases and disorders;
Evaluate the risk of injury and disease in the performance horse;
Analyse veterinary procedures applied to the horse in terms of legal, ethical and welfare considerations.
|Examination||Seen exam (3 hours)||100%|
Assessments may differ in 2020/21 due to adjustments for Covid-19. Please check Gateway for the latest regulations.
This module relies heavily on current scientific journal articles but there are a couple of useful ‘text books’ that are comprehensive so students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- Higgins, A.J. and Synder, J.R. (2006) The Equine Manual (2nd edition). Elsevier.
- Merck (2012). Veterinary Manual available at: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp
- Radostits O.M. (2007) Veterinary Medicine: A Textbook of the Diseases of Cattle, Horse (10th edition) Elsevier.
- Tizzard, I. (1992) Veterinary Immunology. 4th Edition, W.B. Saunders Company
- Equine Veterinary Education.
- Equine Veterinary Journal.
- The Veterinary Journal
- Veterinary Clinics of North America: Equine Practice.
- Veterinary Record
Other supporting information:
- It would be very useful for students to register with IVIS (free) for extensive access to publications https://www.ivis.org/
- National Office of Animal Health (NOAH) http://www.noah.co.uk/
- http://www.thehorse.com/for lay interpretation of veterinary research and practice.
- Throughbred Health Network http://www.thoroughbredhealthnetwork.co.uk/