Applied Agricultural Finance
- Module code
- Module leader
- Stephen Thomas
- Module level
- Module credits
- Min study time
- 150 hours
- Contact Hrs within study time
- 54 hours
- Teaching period
- October – May
This module is focused towards small and medium sized farm and land based companies based in the UK. Therefore, areas such as pension planning and taxation will be based on current UK legislation only.
Land based farm business structures. Interpretation of financial statements and other financial data. Techniques for raising finance. Business valuation. Farm and rural business taxation. Pension planning.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Evaluate the financial performances of land based businesses
- Determine and evaluate business performance, through ratio analysis by using sole trader and partnership accounts.
- Use and appraise the management accounting techniques and financial models to inform decision making, demonstrating a understanding of which models should be applied to various financial and farm management decisions and scenarios.
- Based on a case study scenario, evaluate the level of financial performance of a land based business , determining areas of risk, providing solutions and recommendations to improve the long term viability of the business
|Coursework||1 x Case study Analysis||50%|
|Examination||1 x 3 hour unseen exam||50%|
Students should be familiar with the content of the following:
- Arnold, G. (2008). Corporate financial management. 4th Ed. Pearson Education.
- Barry, P.J. and Ellinger, P.N. (2012) Financial management in agriculture Pearson Education.
- BUTLER, J. (ed.) (2011) Tax planning for farm and land diversification 3rd edn. Bloomsbury Professional.
- Nuthall, P.L. (2011) Farm business management: analysis of farming systems CABI Publishing.
- THOMPSON, R.C. and BATTLES, R.W. (2000) Fundamentals of agribusiness finance Iowa State University Press.
- Drury, C. (2008). Management and Cost Accounting. (9th edition). Chapman & Hall.
- Kahan, D. (2013) Managing risk in farming Food & Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). (Farm Management Extension Guide, No. 3).
- OLSON, K.D. (2011) Economics of farm management in a global setting John Wiley.
- Wood, F. and Sangster, A. (2012). Business Accounting Volume 2. (12th edition). Prentice Hall