Physiological and metabolic responses to training. Muscle fibre classification systems and the role of gene expression in responses to training. Immunological responses to exercise. The importance of fluid and electrolyte balance. The role of biomechanics in performance evaluation. Training methods- conventional, sympathetic and technologically assisted techniques. Training tools. The impact of surfaces on performance.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Critically evaluate scientific literature relating to exercise physiology to justify appropriate training techniques for a specific discipline.
- Appreciate the various methods used to evaluate the athletic potential and fitness of an equine athlete.
- Design a training regime appropriate for an equine athlete competing in a specific discipline.
|Coursework||1 x written assignment||40%|
|Examination||1 x 3 hour exam||60%|
Assessments may differ in 2020/21 due to adjustments for Covid-19. Please check Gateway for the latest regulations.
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- Hinchcliff, K W., Geor, R J.,Kaneps, A J. (2008) Equine exercise physiology: the science of exercise in the athletic horse. Saunders Elsevier.
- Back, W., Clayton, H.M. (2001) Equine Locomotion. W.B. Saunders
- Buchner, H H F., Mullineaux, D R., Van Weeren, P R. (2004) Locomotion special issue : proceedings of the 5th international conference on equine locomotion. (Equine Veterinary Journal supplement; 36(8))
- Clark and Jeffcott (1994) On to Altanta 1996- An International Vet Update for Eventing Enthusiasts
- Clayton H.M. (2004) The Dynamic Horse. Sport Horse Publications
- Gill, D.W. (2007) Farriery: The whole Horse concept. Nottingham University Press
- Henson, F M D. (2009) Equine back pathology : diagnosis and treatment. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Hinchcliff, K.W. and Kaneps, A.J. (2004) Equine Sports Medicine and Surgery. Saunders/Elsevier
- Lindner, A. (2002). The elite dressage and three-day-event horse: conference on equine sports medicine and science 2002. Published by Author.
- Lindner, A. (2004) The elite race and endurance horse: conference on equine sports medicine and science. Published by Author.
- Lindner, A. (2010) Performance diagnosis and purchase examination of elite sport horses : Conference on Equine Sports Medicine and Science [CESMAS] 2010. Wageningen Academic Publishers.
- Marlin, D. and Nankervis, K. (2002) Equine Exercise Physiology Blackwell Science
- Patteson, M.W., (1996) Equine Cardiology. Blackwell Science