Negotiation in Business
- Module code
- Module leader
- Peter Morris
- Module level
- Module credits
- Min study time
- 75 hours
- Contact Hrs within study time
- 25 hours
- Teaching period
- October - March
A basic concept to any equine related business is the knowledge of how to sell and to negotiate. The nature of negotiation, including the various negotiating stages, the legal effect of negotiation and the strategies, tactics, behind negotiation. The skill of negotiation will be set against the basis of the law of the relevant laws in the UK and also the context of the various equine related industries. The module will give theoretical and practical experience to how a successful negotiation is carried out.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Identify the different methods of trading in the UK
- Identify the legal basis behind negotiating and the areas where negotiating can affect an equine related business
- Describe the mechanics and dynamics of a successful negotiation.
- Demonstrate an ability to negotiate and close a deal, act professionally and achieve successful business objectives.
|Coursework||1 x report (1200 words) in preparation for the role play||50%|
|Roleplay||1 x professional role play - the negotiating process of selling and buying||50%|
- Haverty, M and Bacon, R (2015) The Equine Business Guide (6th edition). Agro Business Consultants Ltd
- Horton, S (2016) The leader's guide to negotiation: how to use soft skills to get hard results Pitman
- Lenhart, K. (2013). Getting to Yes: Negotiation Skills and Strategies. First Printing.
- MacIntyre E (2016) Business Law (8th edition) Pearson
- Ury, W., Fisher, R. and Patton, B. (ed.) (2012). Getting to Yes: Negotiating an Agreement Without Giving In. (3rd edition). Random House Business Books
- Whitaker, L and Austin E (2001) The Good Girl's Guide to Negotiating: how to get what you want at the bargaining table. Random House Business
- Fells, R. (2009). Effective Negotiation: From Research to Results. Cambridge University Press.
- Riches, S. and Allen, V. (2013) Keenan and Riches' Business Law. 11th edn. Pearson Education.