Advances in the agricultural sector are creating a growing demand for new intellectual and technological skill set. Developments in sensors, robotics, automation, analytics and telematics are enabling new and sophisticated ways of managing agricultural practices. The combination of scale and precision will reduce the requirements of unskilled labour and will increase the demand for highly skilled specialists.
Students taking this module will develop an understanding of the theoretical and practical aspects of modern technologies, while critically evaluating the production efficiencies that could be achieved with the adoption of these technological innovations. The module will cover guidance systems, telematics, remote sensing, Big-Data, IoT, specific crop and animal management, robotics and analytics.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Discuss and assess the operation and function of a range of agricultural technologies
- Appraise the utilisation of farming technologies and critically argue their suitability for a range of tasks.
- Critically evaluate the viability of implementing technological advances to increase the efficiency of farm systems
|First Sit||Coursework1 - 2,000-word individual report - 70% / Coursework 2 - Group poster presentation - 30% / Examination - none / Practical - none||100%|
|Referral (capped at 40%)||Coursework1 - 2,000-word individual report - 100%/ Examination - none / Practical - none||100%|
- Burrough, P.A., McDonnell, R.A. and Lloyd, C.D. (2015) Principles of geographical information systems. 3rd edn. Oxford University Press.
- Chuvieco, E. and Huete, A. (2010) Fundamentals of satellite remote sensing. Boca Raton, Fla.; London: CRC.
- Stafford, J.V. (ed.) (2015) Precision Agriculture '15. Wageningen Academic Publishers.
- Zhang, Q. (ed.) (2016) Precision agriculture technology for crop farming. CRC Press.
- Zhang, Q. and Pierce, F.J. (2013) Agricultural automation: fundamentals and practices. CRC Press.
- Banks, A. and Melves, S.F. (eds.) (2012) Horizons in crop production: precision agriculture and no-till farming. Nova Science.
- Caldwell, D.G. (ed.) (2013) Robotics and automation in the food industry: current and future technologies. Woodhead Publishing Limited. (Woodhead Publishing series in food science, technology and nutrition, number 236; no. 236.).
- Taylor, J.A., Cammarano, D., Prashar, A. and Hamilton, A. (eds.) (2017) Precision agriculture '17. Cambridge University Press.
- Biosystems Engineering
- Computers and Electronics in Agriculture
- Decision Support Systems
- Remote Sensing