Crop Health and Protection
- Module code
- Module leader
- Dr Nicola Cannon
- Module level
- Module credits
- Min study time
- 150 hours
- Contact Hrs within study time
- 36 hours
- Teaching period
- Semester 2
This elective aims to be a preparation for those students who wish to progress to a BASIS qualification and who wish to become agronomists, on-farm arable specialists or crop protection researchers. It will cover the benefits and limitations of pesticide use, integrated and sustainable approaches to the maintenance of crop health (this will include biological control, cultural practices, Integrated Pest Management, crop nutrition etc), pesticide development and safety, diagnostics, advances in agrochemical formulation, crop stimulants and semio-chemicals, regulation and control, biosecurity issues, regulation of growth, the use of adjuvants, bio-pesticides and biomolecular manipulation to improve crop health.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Demonstrate a detailed knowledge and thorough understanding of the most important aspects of modern, integrated plant health and protection issues, in the context of sustainable crop production.
- Critically analyse and compare the different methods and technologies used for the prevention and control of crop problems.
- Assess the impact of legislation and control on the efficacy and safety of crop health and protection practices.
- Evaluate the importance of national and international biosecurity measures.
|First Sit||Coursework1 - Technical Report - 50%, Examination - 3 hr unseen - 50%||100%|
|Referral (capped at 40%)||Coursework1 - Technical Report - 50%, Examination - 3 hr unseen - 50%||100%|
- AHDB (2018) Cereals and Oilseeds Resources. [online] Available from: https://cereals.ahdb.org.uk/
- AHDB (2018) Horticulture Resources. [online] Available from: https://horticulture.ahdb.org.uk/
- AHDB (2018) Potatoes Resources. [online] Available from: https://potatoes.ahdb.org.uk/
- BASIS (2018) BASIS Resources. [online] Available from: https://www.basis-reg.co.uk/
- BCPC (2018) BCPC Resources. [online] Available from: https://www.bcpc.org/
- BCPC (2018) UK Pesticide Guide. [online] Available from: https://www.bcpc.org/product/uk-pesticide-guide-2018
- Dale R. Walters, et al., [ed] (2014). Induced Resistance for Plant Defense : A Sustainable Approach to Crop Protection, Wiley, ProQuest Ebook Central. [online] Available from: https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/raclib/detail.action?docID=1762070
- Wegulo, SN [Ed] (Monthly). Crop Protection. Elsevier.
- Winter, S [Ed] (Annual). Journal of Plant Diseases and Protection. Springer