Rural Planning and Buildings
- Module code
- Module leader
- Katharine Foot
- Module level
- Module credits
- Min study time
- 150 hours
- Contact Hrs within study time
- 45 hours
- Teaching period
- Semester 2
This module focuses on Town and Country Planning, and building construction and management (as they apply in the context of the management of, and provision of advice in relation to, rural property). The areas addressed by the module are the principles, structure, and objectives of, the Town and Country Planning system in England; planning law; the development control system, plans, procedures and decision making; permitted development (with a focus on rural permitted development); the effect of designations on development; minerals planning; environmental impact assessment; planning conditions, obligations and Community Infrastructure Levy; strategic planning; planning viability; planning appeals and enforcement; building structures and systems; the inspection and recording of building condition, including dilapidations; construction costs; construction technologies and concepts of sustainability in buildings; legal considerations in construction and project management; and identifying and remedying defects in existing buildings.
- Critically evaluate the impacts of the planning system on economic activity, communities and the environment in rural areas.
- Synthesise the relevant considerations relating to a variety of complex planning scenarios and demonstrate sound judgement in relation to the appropriate advice which would need to be provided to a client in respect of these.
- Synthesise the relevant factors which need to be addressed in a planning application and apply this understanding to the preparation of such an application for a development proposal.
- Evaluate the impacts of the practical and legal factors that need to be taken into account during the planning and management of a construction project.
- Demonstrate sound judgement in relation to providing appropriate advice to a client in respect of common defects of rural buildings
|Coursework||1 x practical exercise||50%|
|Examination||1 x 3 hour unseen exam||50%|
Students should be familiar with the content of the following:
Chudley, R. and Greeno, R. (2016) Building construction handbook. 11th ed. Routledge
Cullingworth, B. (2015) Town and country planning in the UK. 15th ed. Routledge
Duxbury, R.M.C. (2018) Planning law and procedure. 16th ed. Oxford University Press