The purpose of the module is to develop analytical techniques and problem solving skills that can be applied to the management of rural property and integrate the technical skills developed in other modules. Students will be taught to appraise and evaluate rural property and estate assets, analyse arguments and assumptions, to reach sound judgements in order to achieve a solution, or to identify a range of solutions to problems involving the deployment and management of rural property assets and to communicate information, ideas, problems and solutions effectively.
Appraisal of estate management objectives; appraisal of other rural estate assets and preparation of rural asset plans. Alternative arrangements to farming in-hand, alternative uses of rural buildings and other assets and developing income streams. National taxes including Capital Gains Tax, Inheritance Tax, Income Tax, Corporation Tax and Stamp Duty, Land Tax, trusts and settlements and estate planning.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Critically evaluate landowners’ objectives and devise strategic plans for rural estates to maximise property and other assets.
- Demonstrate a systematic understanding of the various national taxes and their impact on estate management and future strategy.
- Advise landowners on alternative arrangements to farming in-hand, alternative uses of rural buildings and other assets and developing income streams.
- Demonstrate a critical awareness of key subject areas in a practical context on a rural estate.
|Coursework||1 x professional report||50%|
|Coursework||1 x report, including oral presentation and interview||50%|
- Estates Gazette.
- Forum for the Future (July 2006). Rural Estate Sustainability: Leading by Example. Forum for the Future
- Nix, J. S. (2003) Land and Estate Management. 4th ed. Packard Publishing.
- Prag, P. (2002) Rural Diversification. 2nd ed. Estates Gazette.
- RICS. The Land Journal.
- Sayers, J. ( 2005) The Future of Rural Land Management: Annual Fellowship in Rural Land Management. No. 1. RAC & RICS.
- Cowap, C. (Annual Publication) Concise rural taxation: taxation for rural advisors and students. Harper Adams University
- McKie, S. and Anstey, S. (Annual Publication) Tolley’s Estate Planning. Lexis Nexis Butterworths