The module will focus on three key business disciplines:
Introduction to financial statements. Interpretation of financial statements and other financial data. Working capital management. A brief introduction to the different costing models, with focus on. Cost-Volume-Profit analysis. Relevant costs and short-term decision-making. Capital Investment Appraisal.
The global marketing environment, marketing strategic planning, capturing market insights and consumers’ understanding, brand strategy (Re)branding, brand value chain, new product development, holistic communication, shopper marketing and marketing ROI.
Business planning and the nature of strategic change; corporate purpose, mission and objectives; business environmental appraisal; business ethics and sustainability; creating and sustaining competitive advantage.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Demonstrate a systematic understanding of financial statements.
- Complete a comprehensive set of budgets for a start-up business
- Comprehend and analyse the key role of marketing both within the organisation and in an increasingly competitive and dynamic global environment
- Compile a resource audit and an analysis of an organisation’s key sources of competitive advantage.
- Identify and conceptualise a range of feasible strategic options and critically analyse options for the implementation of strategic decisions.
Students should be familiar with the content of the following:
- Arnold, G. (2013) Corporate Financial Management. 5th edition. Pearson Education
- Atrill, P. and McLaney, E. (2013). Accounting and Finance for Non-Specialists. 8th Ed. Pearson Education
- Seal, W., Garrison, R. and Noreen, E. (2013) Management Accounting, (4th edition), London:McGrawHill
- Kotler, P. and Keller, K.L. (2012) Marketing management, 14th ed., Global Edition. Pearson Education
- Lindgreen, A., Hingley, M., Harness, D. and Custance, P. (eds) (2010) Market Orientation: transforming food and agribusiness around the customer. Gower Publishing
- Solomon, M. R., Bamossy, G., Askegaard, S. and Hogg, M.K. (2013) Consumer Behaviour: a European perspective, 5th ed. Prentice Hall
- Grant, R. M. (2012) Contemporary Strategy Analysis. 8th edition. Blackwell
- Haberber, G. A. and Rieple, A. (2001) The Strategic Management of Organisations. F.T. Prentice Hall
- Johnson, G., Scholes, K. and Whittington, R. (2011) Exploring Corporate Strategy. 9th edition. F. T. Prentice Hall
- Lynch, R. (2006) Corporate Strategy. 4th edition. F.T. Prentice Hall