Computing and Information Technology in Precision Agriculture
- Module code
- Module leader
- Dr Barry Hill
- Module level
- Module credits
- Min study time
- 200 hours
- Contact Hrs within study time
- 40 hours
- Teaching period
- October- March
The module will give the student a foundation in software and electronics and enable the student to become sufficiently confident to build appropriate hardware, develop or fix simple scripts and an understanding of how IT professionals design and build technology. It will enable the successful student to create, critically assess, and commission hardware and software, understand their roles, and contribute to further development. The module will encourage students to experiment with coding and develop knowledge outside the taught syllabus.
- Software design and development using C, C++ and other languages on micro-controllers, SBCs (e.g. Raspberry Pi) and PCs
- Principles of electronics
- Design and building of electronic circuits
- Interfacing circuits to micro-controllers, SBCs and PCs for control and data acquisition.
- Data processing and display
- Networking. Different methods of networking computer systems together (e.g. TCP/IP, MODBUS)
Teaching is in the form of lectures and a complimentary series of short projects to give practical context.
On completion of this module students will be able to:
- Understand the application of software and electronics, how they inter-relate
- Design and prototype electronic circuits for data capture and processing
- Write useful computer programmes and critically assess their suitability
- Critically assess the contribution of computing and data science to improved production techniques.
|Coursework||Written report and relevant supporting hardware and software||40%|
Students should be familiar with the content of the following:
- Kernighan, Brian W.; Dennis M. Ritchie (1978). The C Programming Language (1st ed.). Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- McKinney, W. (2013). Python for Data Analysis O'Reilly
- Qin Zhang and Francis J. Pierce (Eds) (2016) Agricultural Automation: Fundamentals and Practices CRC Press
- Qin Zhang (2015) Precision Agriculture Technology for Crop Farming CRC Press
- Computers and Electronics in Agriculture Elsevier
- Agriculture Special edition (2016) Big Data Application in Agriculture MDPI open access
- OASIS (Advancing Open Standards for the Information Society) is one of the major bodies promoting open standards in the area of e-business. Its website has information on its standards. https://www.oasis-open.org/