- The challenges of food safety, future options and possible strategies for crop production in the UK and world agriculture.
- The application of the latest biotechnology options for crop improvement and production, including plant products for non-food uses, toxicology of natural pharmacologically active constituents and the use of transgenic plant technology for medical purposes.
- GM crops and the regulatory framework for GM
- Introduction to bioinformatics.
- Introduction to the characteristics and management of the major soil groups and how cropping is affected by soil type.
- Integrated Crop Management System (crop rotations, nutrition and crop protection etc)
- The development and application of new technologies of crop protection, biological agents and biopesticides
- Two off-site visits: Rothamsted Research and Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
To achieve credit for this module, students should be able to:
- Address and reflect the challenges of food safety in the UK and worldwide
- Critically analyse how the latest biotechnologies may contribute to agricultural production systems, safe food supply and environment
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of Integrated Crop Management Systems
- Evaluate and articulate current issues in crop production, such as, the shortage of water and arable land, the impact of pesticides and GM crops
|Coursework||1 x research paper||50%|
|Examination||1 x 3 hour exam||50%|
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- Bhullar, G. S. and Bhullar, N. K. (eds.) (2013) Agricultural Sustainability: Progress and Prospects in Crop Research. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-404560-6.00002-2; Academic.
- Fleury, D. and Whitford, R. (eds) (2014) Crop Breeding, Method and protocols. Humana Press
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations and Steduto, P. (2012) Crop yield response to water. FAO. http://www.fao.org/docrep/016/i2800e/i2800e.pdf
- Franklin, J. (2011) Soil and crop nutrition. Nuffield Farming Scholarships Trust
- George E. F., Hall, M. A. and Klerk, G. de (2008) Plant Propagation by Tissue Culture (3rd ed) Springer
- Mittal, V. (2012) Crop stress management & global climate change. SBS Publishers
- Oliver, R. P and Hewitt, H. G (2014) Fungicides in crop protection (2nd ed). CABI Publishing
- Ricroch, A., Chopra, S. and Fleischer, S. (eds.) (2014) Plant Biotechnology: Experience and Future Prospects. Springer
- Sadras, V. and Calderini, D. (2009) Crop physiology: applications for genetic improvement and agronomy. Elsevier
- Stafford, J. V. (2015) Precision Agriculture ’15. Wageningen Academic Publishers
- Zollitsch, W. (ed.) (2007) Sustainable food production and ethics. Wageningen Academic Publishers