Beverages and the Supply Chain
- Module code
- Module leader
- Shona O’Rourke
- Module level
- Module credits
- Min study time
- 150 hours
- Contact Hrs within study time
- 25 hours
- Teaching period
- Semester 1
This module presents the key concepts of the global and UK beverage supply chains for analysis. The major issues involved in beverage production and distribution are explored. The module critically evaluates the supply chains for caffeinated drinks, soft drinks, alcoholic drinks and functional drinks. It will also examine the health implications and corporate social responsibility involved in the production and consumption of beverages.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Analyse and evaluate global and UK supply chains in a variety of beverage types.
- Critically evaluate current trends in beverage consumption and associated health implications.
- Assess and discuss the current global and UK supply chains with respect to primary production, transport, quality control, sustainability, marketing and consumption.
|Coursework||1 x Report (3,500 words)||100%|
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- David, B., Lockwood, A., Alcott, P. and Pantelidis, I.S., 2018, Food and beverage management 6th edition, Routledge, UK.
- Garcia Martinez, M., 2013, Open Innovation in the food and beverage industry, Woodhead Publishing, Oxford.
- Institute of Food Science and Technology, 2013, Food & drink - good manufacturing practice: a guide to its responsible management, 6th edition, Wiley-Blackwell.
- Lustig, R.H., 2013, Fat chance: the bitter truth about sugar, Fourth Estate.
- Thurston, R.W., Morris, J. and Steinman, S., 2013, Coffee: A Comprehensive Guide to the Bean, the Beverage, and the Industry, Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
- Lloyds Banking Group Reports: https://goo.gl/hnfzjA
- Food and Drink Federation Reports: https://goo.gl/8bAKi8
- BDO Reports: https://goo.gl/pesRSY
- FAO Reports: https://goo.gl/wuiXmo
- Market Line Industry Profiles and SWOT analyses: (available on Library “Find It” function)
- Supply Chain Management: An International Journal
- Journal of Functional Foods
- Annual Review of Nutrition