Rural tourism and event management in context. The origins, size and shape of the rural tourism and event management industry. Types of rural tourism (e.g. agri-tourism, food tourism and wildlife tourism) and rural events (e.g. sporting, cultural and corporate). Industry trends and key drivers.
Key stakeholders and organisations. Tourism and event management standards and policies. Rural tourism and event management theory. Theories of modern and postmodern tourism.
Understanding the ‘tourist gaze’ and the quest for authenticity, understanding consumer motivations and visitor behaviours. Stakeholder engagement, public relations and sponsorship management. Managing volunteers.
Rural event management in practice, Event aims and strategy, Event planning, legal issues, health and safety, monitoring, review and evaluation of events.
Principles of sustainable tourism and their specific relevance to the development of rural tourism and events, the economic, socio-cultural, and environmental impacts (positive and negative) of tourism and events. Regenerative tourism.
On successful completion of this module a student should be able to:
- Critically analyse and appraise the development, size and shape of the rural tourism and event management industry.
- Recognise the principles of sustainable tourism and their specific relevance to the development of rural tourism.
- Critically evaluate the contribution and impacts of rural tourism and events in social, cultural, economic and environmental terms.
- Assess the theoretical frameworks which underpin patterns of consumer demand, motivation and behaviour in the tourism sector.
- Identify and critically assess good practice in the rural tourism and event management sector using examples from the UK and abroad.
|Coursework||Individual Essay (3000 words)||100%|
Assessments may differ in 2020/21 due to adjustments for Covid-19. Please check Gateway for the latest regulations.
- Dashper, Katherine (2014) Rural Tourism: An International Perspective
- Urry, J & Larsen, J (2011) The Tourist Gaze 3.0. 3rd ed, Sage Publications, London
- Quinn, B. (2013) Key Concepts in Event Management. 1st Ed. Sage Key Concepts. Sage Publication's, London.
- Ade Oriade, Ade, and Robinson, Peter (2017) Rural Tourism and Enterprise: Management, Marketing and Sustainability