1) The rural tourism and event management industry in context
- The origins, size and shape of the rural tourism and event management industry.
- Types of rural tourism (e.g. agri-tourism, food tourism and wildlife tourism) and rural events (e.g. sporting, cultural and corporate)
- Industry trends and key drivers.
- Farm diversification.
- Key stakeholders and organisations.
- Tourism and event management standards and policies.
- Accessible tourism and events
2) Rural tourism event management theory
- Theories of modern and postmodern tourism.
- Understanding the ‘tourist gaze’ and the quest for authenticity.
- Hosts and guests
- Gender and race
- Leadership in tourism and events
- Entrepreneurship theory and the tourism sector
3) Rural event management in practice
- Event aims and strategy
- Event planning - the life cycle
- Stakeholder engagement, public relations and sponsorship management
- Legal issues, health and safety
- Project and operations management
- Managing volunteers
- Monitoring, review and evaluation of events
4) Tourism and event sustainability
- The economic, socio-cultural, and environmental impacts (positive and negative) of tourism and events
- Tourism destination life cycles
- Regenerative tourism
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Critically analyse and appraise the development, size and shape of the rural tourism and event management industry
- Critically evaluate the contribution and impacts of rural tourism and events in social, cultural, economic and environmental terms
- Identify and critically assess good practice in the rural tourism and event management sector using examples from the UK and abroad
|Coursework||2000 word essay (individual)||30%|
|Coursework||4000 word report (group work) and 10 minute peer assessed presentation||70%|
Beech, J. Kaiser, S. and Kasper, R. (2014). The Business of Events Management. Pearson.
Holloway, J.C. and Humphreys, C. (2016) The Business of Tourism. 10th edn. Pearson Education.
Croce, E., and Perri, G. (2010). Food and Wine Tourism: Integrating Food, Travel and Territory. CABI.
Getz, D. et al (2014). Foodies and Food Tourism. Goodfellow Publishers.
MaCcannall, D. (2013) The Tourist: A New Theory of the Leisure Class. University of California Press.
Przezborska, L., Sznajder, M. and Scrimgeour, F. (2009). Agritourism. CABI.
Raj, R. and Musgrave, J. (eds.) (2009) Event management and Sustainability. CAB International.
Torres, R, and Momsen J., (2011). Tourism and Agriculture: New Geographies of Consumption, Production and Rural Restructuring. Routledge Chapman Hall.
Urry, J & Larsen, J (2011) The Tourist Gaze 3.0. 3rd ed, Sage Publications, London.