The module will include:
- The Entrepreneurial Process;
- The Business Planning Process;
- Opportunity Recognition;
- Defining your Customers;
- Developing a sustainable Business Model;
- Industry and Competitor Analysis;
- Raising Finance - loans, grants, crowd funding, share options and angels;
- Building a Founding team;
- Reality Check on your concept; and
- Entrepreneurial Marketing.
On successful completion of this module a student should be able to:
- Understand and critically evaluate the linkages between entrepreneurship and venture creation, development and growth, including the motivations which entrepreneurs have for creating new ventures;
- Critically discuss alternative approaches and business models for the exploitation of entrepreneurial opportunities;
- Collate and organise data from different sources and demonstrate an ability to interpret economic data for the purpose of business planning
- Analyse different business situations where entrepreneurial opportunities are present or possible, taking into consideration the resources required to pursue an opportunity; and
- Understand and evaluate critically the key elements and purpose of a business plan and know what should be included in a business 'pitch' of a new venture opportunity.
|Coursework 1||Individual Pitch (15 Minutes)||40%|
|Coursework 2||Business Plan (2500 Words)||60%|
Assessments may differ in 2020/21 due to adjustments for Covid-19. Please check Gateway for the latest regulations.
- Neck, H., Neck, C., & Murray, E. (2020). Entrepreneurship: The Practice and Mindset (2nd ed.). Sage Publications, Inc.
- Osterwalder, A., & Pigneur, Y. (2010). Business Model Generation: A Handbook for Visionaries, Game Changers, and Challengers. John Wiley & Sons.
- Evans, V. (2015). The Financial times essential guide to writing a business plan (2nd ed.). FT Publishing International.
- Bland, D., Osterwalder, A., Smith, A., & Papadakos, T. (2019). Testing business ideas. John Wiley & Sons.
- Hill, I. (2016). Start-up. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Osterwalder, A., Pigneur, Y., Bernarda, G., & Smith, A. (2015). Value Proposition Design. John Wiley & Sons.
- Van Der Pijl, P., Lokitz, J., Solomon, L.K., Van Der Pijl, E., & Van Lieshout, M. (2016). Design a Better Business: New Tools, Skills and Mindset for Strategy and Innovation. John Wiley & Sons.