There will be a focus on developing critical thinking to enhance the research process and understanding specific methods/techniques appropriate for application to professional and management practices. The module will facilitate the development of research competencies – particularly those related to data collection and analysis that enable the student to design, undertake and evaluate independent research in organisational and industry settings.
On successful completion of this module a student should be able to:
- Evaluate their current core study skills and show self-awareness of areas needing improvement
- Develop an understanding of the critical thinking needed to analyse and evaluate other research work (academic or industry)
- Select an appropriate methodological approach for the proposed research project and identify suitable research methods and data analysis techniques .
- Synthesise a research plan that specifies a knowledge gap that needs further study using a justified framework.
|Coursework 1||Research proposal. (2000 words)||50%|
|Coursework 2||Reflection piece on why the proposal is necessary and their motivation to study it. (1000 words)||50%|
Assessments may differ in 2020/21 due to adjustments for Covid-19. Please check Gateway for the latest regulations.
- Barbour, R.S. (2014) Introducing qualitative research: a student's guide to the craft of doing qualitative research. 2nd edition. Sage publications.
- Biggam, J. (2018) Succeeding with your Master’s Dissertation: A Step-by-Step Handbook (4th ed.). Open University Press
- Bolton, G. and Delderfield, R. (2018) Reflective Practice: Writing and Professional Development. Sage publications
- Bryman, A_and Bell, E. (2015) Business Research Methods. 4th ed. Oxford University Press.
- Cottrell, S. (2017) Critical Thinking Skills: Effective Analysis, Argument and Reflection (Palgrave Study Skills). Palgrave
- Creswell, J.W. and Creswell, J. D. (2018) Research design: qualitative, quantitative and mixed method approaches. 5th ed. Sage publications.
- Denscombe, M. (2012) Research Proposals: A practical guide. Open University Press
- Denscombe, M. (2017) The good research guide for small scale social research projects 6th ed. Open University Press.
- Fowler, F.J. (2009) Survey research methods. 4th ed. Sage Publications
- John Gill & Phil Johnson with Murray Clark (2010), Research Methods for Managers, 4th Edition, Sage publications
- Saunders, M., Lewis, P. and Thornhill, A. (2015) Research Methods for Business Students Pearson.
- Silverman, D. (2017) Doing Qualitative Research. 4th ed. Sage publications
- Thomas, G. (2017) How to Do Your Research Project: A Guide for Students 3rd Ed. Sage Publications
- Wallace, M. and Wray, A. (2016) Critical Reading and Writing for Postgraduates (SAGE Study Skills Series). Sage publications.
- White, B. (2014) Dissertation skills for business and management students. 2nd ed. Cengage Learning