The basics of animal production will be covered, giving students an overview of the scientific principles, main production cycles and enterprise management routines of a range of species.
Subjects will include:
Physiology: reproduction, lactation, nutrition and growth of commercially produced livestock
Health and welfare assessment: recognise behavioural, production signs and symptoms of disease; identify appropriate strategies to correct disease status and review options for making improvements to the health and welfare status, in accordance with current health and welfare codes of practice and relevant legislation.
Production tasks: correct provision of feed, water, accommodation and bedding; carry out routine stock inspections of livestock species; carry out routine stock tasks and demonstrate understanding of recording requirements, all in accordance with current health and welfare codes of practice and health and safety legislation.
Practical management: review and assess management strategies for a range of livestock species; identify appropriate production targets and methods of monitoring stock performance relative to identified market requirements.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Understand the key physiological principles in livestock production
- Formulate and justify assessments regarding health and welfare status for livestock species
- Plan and undertake routine livestock production tasks
- Evaluate the practical management objectives implemented and achieved in livestock production systems
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- Soffe R G (2003). The Agricultural Notebook (20th Edition) Blackwell Science
- Neville, G. Gregory. (1998). Animal Welfare And Meat Science. Cabi Publishing
- Allen, D. (1990). Planned Beef Production And Marketing. Bsp Professional Books
- Croston D & Pollott G. (1994). Planned Sheep Production (2nd Ed) Blackwell Scientific Press
- Frandson, R. D. & Spurgeon, T. L. (2003). Anatomy And Physiology Of Farm Animals. 5th Ed. Lea And Febiger
- Taylor, D. J.; Green, N. P. O. & Stout, G. W. (2001) Biological Principles 1 & 2 Third Edition, Cambridge University Press Isbn 9780750687829
- Boden E – Black’s Veterinary Dictionary, 21st Edition (A & C Black Publishers, 2005) Isbn 9780713663624
- Boyle M – Biology (Collins Educational, 2008) Isbn 9780007267453
- Jones A, Reed B And Weyers J – Practical Skills In Biology (Prentice Hall, 2002) Isbn 9780130451415
- Pond K And Pond W – Introduction To Animal Science (J Wiley & Sons Inc, 2000) Isbn 9780471170945
- Williams G – Advanced Biology For You (Nelson Thornes, 2000) Isbn 9780748752980