Investment / Development Project
- Module code
- Module leader
- Robert Couchman / Iain Butler
- Module level
- Module credits
- Min study time
- 150 hours
- Contact Hrs within study time
- 16 hours
Students choosing either a commercial or residential option will undertake an investment / development orientated project where the students will develop their knowledge and understanding of the areas of land tenure, landlord and tenant relations, land use and development control, letting and conveyancing, real estate investment and funding. Students will be required to develop an investment strategy based on a real development opportunity and give appropriate professional advice.
To achieve credit for this module, students must be able to:
- Apply their knowledge and understanding of valuation techniques and be able to value different types of real estate in any real estate market; (A1 A3 C2 D1)
- Critically evaluate the legal requirements for the leasing of real estate in any country, and be able to give advice on the heads of terms for a commercial lease; (A2 B3 D2)
- Give critical professional advice on the best use of land for development purposes, and advise on the correct procedures for obtaining planning permission; (B1 D3)
- Evaluate the development worth of a site and apply, with confidence, an appropriate development appraisal technique; (B2 B5 C3)
- Give critical professional advice to an international investor seeking to invest in an international property market. (C4 D4 D5)
|Coursework||1 x assignment||50%|
|Examination||1 x oral presentation and written paper||50%|
Students should be familiar with the content of at least one of the following:
- Guy, S. and Henneberry, J. (2002). Development and Developers: Perspectives on Property. Blackwell Publishing.
- Seabrooke, W., Kent, P. and Hebe Hwee Hong How (2004). International Real Estate: An Institutional Approach. Blackwell Publishing.
- Wilkinson, S. and Reed, R. (2008). Property Development. (5th edition). Routledge.
- Online material published on Gateway.
- RICS ISURV and other publications.
- Journal of Property Investment and Finance.
- Journal of Property Management.